• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'98 K1200RS Side Case Heat Shield (Melting Side Case)

goneregret

Hello, can anyone tell me where to get insulation to protect my side case from the muffler melt?

My left side case has some considerable damage from muffler heat. I plastic welded the holes closed but I don't want this to happen again. What can I use for heat shield? There is already a thin, metallic sheet of heat shield in a recess at the center of the side that faces the muffler. I want to put a piece in front of it and behind it. My question is, where can I get that thin heat shield? Local hardware stores carry thick wall insulation or thin pipe insulation that has plastic air bubbles inside (like bubble wrap). I don't want to use either of those.

Thanks for any help!

Which bike do you have? BMW can probably sell you another piece of the existing heat shield. They have it for my 04 R1150RT.

Part no. 46542316611. Listed now for about $26.50.

Last edited:
Heat Shield Replacement for Side Case on K1200RS/GT

Hello, can anyone tell me where to get insulation to protect my side case from the muffler melt?

My left side case has some considerable damage from muffler heat. I plastic welded the holes closed but I don't want this to happen again. What can I use for heat shield? There is already a thin, metallic sheet of heat shield in a recess at the center of the side that faces the muffler. I want to put a piece in front of it and behind it. My question is, where can I get that thin heat shield? Local hardware stores carry thick wall insulation or thin pipe insulation that has plastic air bubbles inside (like bubble wrap). I don't want to use either of those.

Thanks for any help!

Several layers of standard foil HVAC tape worked for me. Applied tape to repaired and cleaned surface of the left saddlebag years ago. No problems since and easy enough to apply another layer if necessary.

20180430_015917.jpg

I bought a roll of this stuff for a few bucks somewhere... probably at a discount hardware store (Harbor Freight or Northern Tools maybe). Good to have on hand as it also works well for similar applications on other vehicles, e.g., airbox/intake and A/C ducts on cars and trucks.

-MTS

I've been using an insulating foam faced with reflective foil. Comes with adhesive backing. It's sold to apply to HVAC ducting. Most big box home improvement/hardware stores carry it.

I took your advice and used that heat reflective tape from Harbor freight. It was about $7. Put on about 4 layers. It's working well for my 20 minute commute. Next week I will go on a 9 hour ride and see how it holds up.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Late to this thread. But, several vendors including mainstream auto parts stores and JC Whitney sell felt fabric with an aluminum facing, about 1/4 inch thick. Most often used on automotive hoods. It works perfectly to protect bags from muffler heat. I have used it on several bikes.

Back from my two long rides, 650 miles up and 650 miles return. On both legs I was in over 100 degree temps for more then 4 hours. The side case did start to deform in the two troubled areas, but it held together. No plastic dripping off and no holes. In fact the whole case is still sound so I won't bother doing more repairs. I think if I did lots of long rides in high temps the problem could grow worse but for now it's okay. Maybe in the future I can find some of that felt backed stuff for better insulation.

Thanks again for all the help!

Back