• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800gs bad fuel pump?

joetaunton23

I own a 2014 800gs and I’ve encountered a problem.. I currently have around 20000 miles on the bike and on my recent trip from Michigan to North Carolina my bike had a complication. 800 miles in on the 900 miles trip my bike randomly shut off on an off ramp, no bogging or stuttering just died. Once I stopped and tried to start it, it did nothing but click. I checked for spark and that was good so I figured it was the fuel pump. I disconnected the two plugs going into the pump and cleaned them and plugged them back in and it started right up, problem solved? No that would be too easy, bike won’t start again and I’m not sure if it’s the electronic side or the fuel pump itself.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

.....{snip}..... Once I stopped and tried to start it, it did nothing but click......{snip}.....

First, Welcome to the forum!

It's not clear to me what the "click" is - or was. Here is an older thread (pardon the goofy script), that may help-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?52968-My-battery-died-yesterday

Anyway, the first thing that comes to mind is that the battery died. You mention 2014, in my opinion, the battery is due.....if you haven't replaced it yet. If you have replaced it, a check of the connections is in order.

Let us know how you make out.

Gary

I apologize for the lack of discription of what I meant by click, my battery isn’t dead because what I meant by click is the starter, its trying to start but im fairly sure something is wrong with the fuel pump.. just not sure if it’s a bad cable or the pump itself.. I should add I went through the equivalent of hurricane Katrina for about two hours during the ride. Hopefully that clarifies things a little.

Yes it is turning over the engine it’s just not firing because something with the fuel pump is wrong, haven’t pulled it completely yet to see if it’s getting fuel to the injectors. Trying to mitigate the work I guess and see if anyone has any idea what’s going on

Hummm?

When you push the starter button does the engine turn over? Is it turning the engine over but not firing? If you've check the spark and you have spark and you say the engine is turning over then it seems to me it has to be a fuel issue. Now is it a bad fuel pump? Not necessarily. It could be bad connections someplace. Where you in rain? Water and electrical currents are not very good bed fellows. I’ll assume you don’t have a multimeters to check current sooooooooo we need to find a better way to find out. You could do it the old fashioned pain in the butt way. Pull and injector. Give the ole starter button a push and see if it squirts some fuel. It’s that a professional way of doing it? Nope but if your limited you have to improvise. I’m just shooting from the hip here.

Do you hear the hum of the fuel pump when you first turn the key on? If I thought it was lack of fuel, I would squirt aerosol Gumout into the air box and see if it pops. You should be able to run the engine on the Gumout.
OM

Good idea. Go gets some cab cleaner and squirt it in the air box. Like omega said. If she pops you know it’s not getting fuel.

Dead fuel pumps on F800s are not uncommon. There are all kinds of pumps that work but I replaced it with the one that Euro Moto Electrics sells. That bike had an issue very similar to yours; after it got hot it would run at medium or full throttle but the pump would seize when I rolled off the throttle and then the engine would die 5 to 10 seconds later. On the F800 the pump runs only as needed so when you roll off the throttle it slows or stops.

Here is a more detailed description of my experience:

http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...-gas-please-help.420546/page-34#post-30138694

I’m curious Anton, once the pump was replaced, was the pump sound better/quieter? I had a rather fancy fuel pump quit on a Can-Am ATV. When I replaced the pump, I thought to myself “that sounds better”.
Possibly the original pump was sketchy right from the factory :dunno
Gary

Back