• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Quick Disconnect Replacement for 1998 K1200RS

That's the correct part and you need two.
You're 98 may have a brass barb instead quick disconnects.
If you have the brass barbs there's no problem in keeping them.

If you have the original plastic QDs, they look like this.

Original QDs.jpg

FWIW the one BMW sells is a lot nicer to use. Smoother (no sharp edges). I use those exclusively. Pretty sure they are made by CPC but I have not seen them sold anywhere else.

FWIW the one BMW sells is a lot nicer to use. Smoother (no sharp edges). I use those exclusively. Pretty sure they are made by CPC but I have not seen them sold anywhere else.

Not sure what you mean? The CPC metal male end sold by BeemerBoneyard does not have any sharp edges.
You do have to be careful with the CPC metal female end sold by BeemerBoneyard and the plastic female end sold by BMW.

I wasn't referring specifically to the male; most people replace both parts together when they go aftermarket. The plastic female and the metal male that BMW sells are just a lot smoother to handle. BTW I leave the original plastic female connectors in place; I have never seen a problem with them.

I wasn't referring specifically to the male; most people replace both parts together when they go aftermarket. The plastic female and the metal male that BMW sells are just a lot smoother to handle. BTW I leave the original plastic female connectors in place; I have never seen a problem with them.

Not to derail the original thread, but Anton, how often do you change out the small (Vinton I believe) o-rings? Assuming that you've already replaced the plastic with metal?

Very rarely. I should probably inspect them more often than I do, but with some care they don't get scraped during disassembly and reassembly (with a dab of grease). I don't think I've ever had a customer report a leak. I guess they don't survive the fireball.

I do keep some new O-rings on hand, though, and sometimes I'll tape two of them inside the cover of the owner's manual.

Not to derail the original thread, but Anton, how often do you change out the small (Vinton I believe) o-rings? Assuming that you've already replaced the plastic with metal?

Thanks for all the info! I went in the bike today and found there are no quick disconnects at all. Someone in the past put in a simple straight pipe. I'm not sure what it's made out of, looks like plastic. As money is tight right now I'd like to leave it like that. My only concern is when I go into the tank to change the fuel filter and hoses.

Can I just open up the fuel lines (where the quick disconnect should be) and drain out the fuel?

Your bike is stock; the earlier bikes just had the connectors you see. Opening those connections will let you drain gas from one hose (the return hose to the tank) down to a point. After that you an operate the fuel pump somehow to pump gas from the other hose. I use a battery with an adapter cable.

Back