• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2007 R1200GS another fuel strip qrestion

I have found a lot of fuel strip complaints but no answer. So, initially the fuel gauge always indicated a full tank which is ok cuz I'd rather use the trip meter to determine fuel status but yesterday it started showing completely empty with the accompanying warning light & flashing FUEL indicator. Can the fuel gauge be disconnected without losing the other readings or can the gauge be set to always indicate some amount of fuel? I have no interest in replacing the fuel strip knowing it is a high failure item without many redeeming qualities.

fuel strip fix

Bmw has extended the warranty on the fuel strip bikes to 12 years from initial service date.
they will replace it for free as many time as it fails until that date.
We replace our last fuel strip on our 1200r after 7 replacements and it lasted two years until we sold the bike.
Maybe they found a vendor that has one that last.
We tried all methods to disconnect the trouble light but could find none .
Had 4 bikes with strips and replaced a total of 15 strips before we moved on to a bike without them.
Good luck.
Dave

They will replace the fuel strip under warrantee for the first 12 years of the bike. However, BMW has a two year parts warranty on any BMW parts a dealer installs. So if your fuel strip was a BMW part replaced by a dealer and it fails one year and eleven months later, you get another one free.

SO what happens if you just remove the fuel strip altogether? Or disconnect it?

Still get the gas trouble light? Other side effects?

Looks like mine failed today in the "empty" mode. If it failed without the lights I wouldnt care.

Thanks.

1. Ignore fuel strip.

2. Set trip meter when you fill the fuel tank.

3. Determine safe fuel range.

4. Read trip meter and fuel within safe fuel rang.

That is all. :banghead

Found this jump setup over on Advrider forum.

It is for GS. Not sure exactly what year yet.

Apparently it provides a "full tank" signal. No more lights.

Attachments

• FuelStripSpoof_v1.jpg
    FuelStripSpoof_v1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 123
  • FuelStripSpoof_v2.jpg
    FuelStripSpoof_v2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 121
Any one know if this would be similar on a R1200R?

I'll take the tank off and look. Dont remember seeing that connection area last time I had the tank off. (to replace that POS ABS module! Argh)

I'll take the tank off and look. Dont remember seeing that connection area last time I had the tank off. (to replace that POS ABS module! Argh)

I believe you have to build that connector with resistors yourself.

Welcome to the Forum:wave

Unfortunately this has been such an ongoing issue for years that some(most) have learned to work around the strip issues, some fix and ride, some fix,fix,fix.Some, as the ADV fix, have found a workaround.

My GSA still gives me crazy miles to go, second strip and I just take pictures and brag how awesome it works.No warning light this time

the small 4- pin tank connector same on all models, also a 2-pin in pump well.

short of doing the ADV rider fix, no real option.If you unplug it, still will signal a warning as it sees a failure. Covering the light as some also have done will keep you from other warnings which I find a bit cavalier for my experience:whistle

Have three different model Hexies including an R , only our S is less trouble because it only has a gallon to go warning

Think I'm going to take it in and get it warranty replaced and hope it works for a while or fails in the "not empty" mode.
I havent relied on it since the first one failed. Trip odo is fine with me.

Else I'll prolly try the resistor hack shown above.

Thanks for the reply.

Its kind of which aggravation is the least. Mine was fixed under a new to me 30 day warranty and has worked fine for 5 years. :whistle:bliss

Work arounds are something I associate with Microsoft Windows. :stick

Back