• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need some advice

dmulac

New to the forum so please excuse my ignorance on this subject but I am considering a "new" bike. I was hoping to get some feedback on the k1600 gtl. I currently ride a 2005 1200 gs and luv it, but my wife is now considering coming along on my adventures and wants a comfortable place to sit.

My main question is:
Since I don't want to spend $30k on a bike is there's a specific k1600 gtl model year that is better/more reliable/ less issues than others? I was thinking of looking for a 2013 or 2014. If I would decide to buy a new bike my thoughts are the new goldwing or a new k1600. Is the 1600 due for a redesign?

Thanks for any feedback.

New to the forum so please excuse my ignorance on this subject but I am considering a "new" bike. I was hoping to get some feedback on the k1600 gtl. I currently ride a 2005 1200 gs and luv it, but my wife is now considering coming along on my adventures and wants a comfortable place to sit.

My main question is:
Since I don't want to spend $30k on a bike is there's a specific k1600 gtl model year that is better/more reliable/ less issues than others? I was thinking of looking for a 2013 or 2014. If I would decide to buy a new bike my thoughts are the new goldwing or a new k1600. Is the 1600 due for a redesign?

Thanks for any feedback.

They're all about the same.
Look for a low mileage, well documented one and you'll be fine.
Might come down to whats included...gps etc.
K1600Forums.com is a good resource and you might fine one or two for sale.

Good luck.

Joe

K1600gtl wow!!!

I have a 2012 GTL that I dearly love riding!! I traded in a Yamaha FJR1300 for the GTL. I'm guessing that the FJR and your 1200 are close to a similar bike.

First thing noticed when just sitting on the GTL is that it is 75 to 100 lbs. (wet or dry) heavier than my FJR. As soon as the GTL starts rolling, it sheds easily a 100lbs. The riding position is much more upright than the FJR. Take note that the riding position between the GT and the GTL, the windshield, and options are different. The riding position on the GT is much aggressive than the GTL. The windshield on the GT is smaller and shorter. Finally, the GTL is usually loaded with options where the GT is pretty plain out of the factory.

If you find $30 grand distasteful, as I do, getting a certified pre-owned GTL would be a wise plan to follow. It sure worked for me!

My main question is:

Thanks for any feedback.

I just traded an '03 LT for a 20186 GTL and what a difference! The GTL is nimble and really rides nice! If you're considering a model prior to 2018, remember that those have no reverse! The LT's had reverse but for some reason, the K1600's didn't have it until 2018 again. You'll appreciate it every time you have a slight incline to back up on . . . I didn't want to pay that much for a new bike either . . . but I did it and am glad I did. The difference in ride comfort is well worth it! Fuel economy is down from the LT even though the bike is about 200# lighter . . . those two extra cylinders smooth it out but apparently suck about 6 to 8 MPG more . . .

I just traded an '03 LT for a 20186 GTL and what a difference! The GTL is nimble and really rides nice! If you're considering a model prior to 2018, remember that those have no reverse! The LT's had reverse but for some reason, the K1600's didn't have it until 2018 again. You'll appreciate it every time you have a slight incline to back up on . . . I didn't want to pay that much for a new bike either . . . but I did it and am glad I did. The difference in ride comfort is well worth it! Fuel economy is down from the LT even though the bike is about 200# lighter . . . those two extra cylinders smooth it out but apparently suck about 6 to 8 MPG more . . .

Of course, it might also be your throttle hand...lol.

Yes, there is a year to stay away from , 2012. There was/is a ring failure issue that wasn't fixed until mid-way through 2012. Anything >2013 is good to go.

Duane

Back