• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200RT - Cleaning the inside of the windscreen

stinkypete

(2016 R1200RT) This is a question so basic that I am feeling quite foolish for asking, and am showing my "newbie" status. :dunno

When the bike is parked, the screen returns to it's fully "down" position, and only moves up when the bike is moving. Therefore when the bike is off and parked in the shed, I can't access the inside of the screen to clean it, and the inside only seems to be accessible once the bike is moving, which is not an appropriate time to pull out then rag and cleaning products.

Is there a setting that I have not found, and how to I get access to the inside of the windscreen to clean it??? :scratch

I can raise my 2016 RT windshield when the bike is not moving! I just turn on the ignition and press the button!

OK. Now I feel like a real idiot, but thanks for pointing out the obvious. :doh I'll go and quietly hide my embarrassment for a while, and not ask any more questions.

After you have washed screen and dried it best as you can, I suggest a leaf blower to blow the rest of the water out of the nooks and crannies, works for entire bikešŸ˜Ž

Jim

stinkypete, with the windscreen raised you can certainly clean everything you would normally be looking through and most of the rest, but not quite all.

About 1-2 times per year I remove the windscreen entirely and clean the whole thing. It is really easy and quick, just 4 Torx M5X20 screws and that's it.

+1! to Alan Coles. Take a couple of minutes a week, get the screen off and really clean the whole area...screen, dash, etc. You know you'll feel better afterward...

stinkypete, with the windscreen raised you can certainly clean everything you would normally be looking through and most of the rest, but not quite all.

About 1-2 times per year I remove the windscreen entirely and clean the whole thing. It is really easy and quick, just 4 Torx M5X20 screws and that's it.

Not to be a stickler or anything but there actually are 6 screws that
need to be removed. 2 are under the black plastic bits.
And yes, removal is the best way to clean the shield and the area
under it. If youā€™re gonna clean it, might as well do a thorough job of it.

Cleaning the inside of the windshield

Not to be a stickler or anything but there actually are 6 screws that
need to be removed. 2 are under the black plastic bits.
And yes, removal is the best way to clean the shield and the area
under it. If youā€™re gonna clean it, might as well do a thorough job of it.

Mine only has 4, maybe they change by year. I also use rain-x on the part you can't get to and it seems to stay a little cleaner a little longer. Or maybe it's just my imagination. It does seem to reduce the amount of bug guts stuck to the outside though as well...
Jerry

There is a product which I'd say is mostly for those riders who are touring. Here is the URL for the Amazon listing for it: https://www.amazon.com/Boners-Bug-B...65&dpID=21SXzvQPgkL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

On the one hand I think it's dramatically overpriced at $12 for two pieces of cloth about a foot square. However, I made the plunge, bought the Boner's product, and like the results. I showed my pals at the Fontana Getaway how these cloths worked. They pulled those pesky NC and TN bugs off our shields and even got close to those lower corners of the RT's shield. Results were good.

Of course, nothing beats taking off the shield on the Wethead RT, but in a touring situation, this product seems to work well.

Windshield

I wash the bike with water and soft sponge then use a Honda spray plastic cleaner and polish which I found is Carnuba wax. this seems to work well on the glass also, Any comments on a windshield only cleaner?

I also use rain-x on the part you can't get to and it seems to stay a little cleaner a little longer. Jerry

I was always advised to Never use Rain-X on plastic as it will permanently damage the surface. Fine on glass not so much on any type of plastic.
A.

I was always advised to Never use Rain-X on plastic as it will permanently damage the surface. Fine on glass not so much on any type of plastic.
A.

Rain-X makes a version of their product specifically for plastic and has done so for a few years at least.

Cleaning the inside of the windscreen

Rain-X makes a version of their product specifically for plastic and has done so for a few years at least.

I didn't know you couldn't use it on glass. Maybe that was the older stuff. I use this on my bike, my truck and my wife's car. It says it's OK for plastic on the bottle and the website. Only downside is it takes a bit of time to do.

https://www.rainx.com/product/glass-water-repellents-cleaners/rainx-xtreme-clean/#.WxfnnkgvxPY

Jerry

Thanks guys - I'm not aware of that version of the product being available in Australia - will look around.
Regards,
A.

Back