• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need a bigger hole or small socket....

motodan

Been a while since I'd changed plugs on a Beemer. So on my '08 RT I started with the top plugs. And damn, the 5/8 (16mm) socket was too "wide" to reach plugs. But behold, a second 5/8's in the box did...primary plugs out all good. Now for the down under ones, but the socket used to extract primary plugs will not fit. These two holes are smaller - why? I live in a town with a greater metro area population of over 350,000, but not one thin(ner) wall deep socket available to fit those secondary holes. Had to get the ole grinder out to have a "correct" size socket. I will never figure out "the BMW way".

smaller socket needed

I found that where an 3/8" drive socket was a little too big, a 1/4" one fit just right.

I will look for a 1/4" drive, 5/8's inch (16mm) deep today. I did look at one store earlier, but largest 1/4" drive deep they carried was 12mm.

Here's one but it's a little (by this I mean a lot) pricey.

Camhead Spark Plug Socket

There are quite a few on Amazon but it's hard to know which one will work for a Camhead. Any of you that have one that works care to measure it (outside diameter, length, and plug size - I think it's 16mm but am not sure). I need to add one to my tool kit.

Access to and ability to use an old school lathe is also a good solution to turn down a socket to a usable size. :thumb:)

Yep, makes me want to find a machine shop and turn some metal, make some chips, do a little grinding. Ah, the good old days in an old school machine shop. Gotta find my 6" scale, vernier calipers, 0-1' mike, and go to work. Where's my oversized socket, I'll make it fit. :dance:thumb

I put the grinder to work and now my "extra" 5/8" deep socket fits/works just fine.

That's what I did and I use it only for those plugs. I went through about 4 different sockets trying to find one that worked. Then I got the grinder out.

This has been a common issue over the years.

Least expensive way to solve it is as suggested, get a deep 5/8" spark-plug socket turned down. The low torque requirements will mean that the reduction in socket strength is a non-issue.

Quickest, but most expensive way to solve it is to buy a Snap-on deep 5/8" spark-plug socket. Snap-on and a few other top-tier tool makers are well known for making their sockets out of higher quality steel and using thinner walls on their sockets than the vast majority of offerings.
https://store.snapon.com/Flank-Drive-174-Spark-Plug-Sockets-C629437.aspx

Metric Bike requires metric tools...

14mm thin wall spark plug socket from Amazon... A necessary tool for spark plug replacements... Use the right tool for the job - you won't be frustrated in the end.

Grind the socket down all the way around, the whole socket, I did, hope you have a bench grinder, still plenty strong enough and worked great.

Grind the socket down all the way around, the whole socket, I did, hope you have a bench grinder, still plenty strong enough and worked great.

Why on earth would you do this if you can buy one that works for less than $10 at Autozone?

Back