• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Coolant Change '98 K1200RS

goneregret

Hi everyone. I'll be changing my coolant soon and I need advice. I have a 1998 K1200RS. What coolant should I use? I don't see any recommendations. Can I use regular antifreeze from the local parts place? Also, can anyone direct me to a walk-through for doing the job? One video I saw said you just pull a plug from the bottom/front of the engine and drain it out, then refill. Is it that simple? Do I have to "burp" the system? Thanks for your help!

Also Prestone Extended Life Concentrate, product #AF2000 . Or the 50/50 premix, #AF2001. Available everywhere. Just verify the product number, I've seen different versions of the labels.

Keep your engine safe with Prestone Extended Life antifreeze/coolant. This antifreeze/coolant is compatible with ANY antifreeze/coolant regardless of color for use in all makes or models of cars and light duty trucks.
Patented formula provides a high degree of performance durability and carefully balanced protection against temperature extremes, rust and corrosion of all cooling system metals, including aluminum
Formulated free of silicates, phosphate, borate and nitrate
Designed to give your engine 5 year, 150,000 miles protection when added to extended life antifreeze/coolants
Meets or exceeds ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4985

coolant1.png

One video I saw said you just pull a plug from the bottom/front of the engine and drain it out, then refill. Is it that simple? Do I have to "burp" the system? Thanks for your help!

On our K1200RSs I would repeatedly squeeze the lower radiator hose the first time I start it to burp the system.
Never had a problem when changing the coolant.

Not specific to a K12, but usually on any vehicle, you want to let the bike run with the radiator cap off until the thermostat opens. Usually 10 minutes of idleing should do it. You will usually notice a drop in the coolant level or increased turbulance at the cap area. Top off at radiator cap and fill the overflow bottle to the hot or max level. Make sure there are no cracks in the hose between the overflow bottle and the radiator.

:dance:dance:dance

I just recently was asking roughly the same question about flushing a K75. The suggestions were: 1) Using the Prestone extended life was fine, 2) Going with the manual suggested ratio of 60% water and 40% antifreeze, and 3) Using distilled water. All of which I am going to follow. Someone here very kindly posted his step by step procedure on flushing the system, which I printed out and which is sitting on my workbench at this point, ready to follow. Sorry, I can't remember who it was, but my name is on the original posting, so you should be able to find it that way. Good luck. It appears to be an easy job, but of course you never know until you do it.

Back