• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommended brake pad for 2002 R1150R

scdixon

I'm looking to order rear brake pads for my '02 R1150R. I am looking at the beemerboneyard site and see they offer both organic and semi-sintered. Don't know what I currently have on the bike, but they tend to grab hard at low speeds, which I don't like. Any opinions on which pads are preferable, and why, would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum! One of the threads below in the Similar Thread pane has some recent comments about pads for an Oilhead.

I'd do what Paul says. In fact, I have. More than once.

I think the EBC HH sintered pads are somewhat metallic and thus have slightly better wear characteristics and some claim they stop better. The stock pads are organic type material. I have not fact checked this though! Might have it backwards..

The tradeoff is with the rotors. Sintered pads will wear rotors faster and that's why BMW puts the organic ones on new I believe. After having to replace a rear rotor after using sintered pads on my RT I went back to organic. Frankly the stopping power was really not that noticeable and my new rotor shows almost no wear after 5 years.

Should also add that some riders are hard on brakes and some not at all. Older guys like me rode bikes that only had a rear brake way back when and many tend to use the rear as the go to brake even though most of your stopping power is on the front wheel. Over the years I've switched to favouring the front brakes for hard braking. Normal stopping from HWY speeds is to touch the rear wheel brake first and then get on the fronts. Seems to work well for me but when shaving excess speed off when I'm a bit hot getting into a corner I still use the rear. Old habits...

Back