Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Natchez Trace Parkway

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Do you get any elevation on the Tennessee end?

My parents had a camp on the Tennessee river at Iuka Mississippi. Rode the Trace and every other road to get to and from there. The best part on the Trace is Tupelo MS north to Nashville.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, 2015 Ural Patrol, 1959 TR3A Triumph Car

Mount Woodall is just out of Iuka, Ms., it's the highest point in Ms., at 807 ft tall. Probabably 25-50 miles from the Trace.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Mount Woodall is just out of Iuka, Ms., it's the highest point in Ms., at 807 ft tall. Probabably 25-50 miles from the Trace.
    Wow - over twice as high as anything here in Florida.

Random comment

I've been reading this thread with some amusement and nostalgia. I actually grew up outside Tupelo, MS, and lived about 1/2 mile from "the Trace". At that time, mid 50's to early 60's, the Trace was still gravel, and my buddies and I used to go ride our balloon tire bicycles along the roadway. On my bucket list is a trip back with a proper vehicle to ride the whole length - just for old times' sake.
    Marty in Spokane Valley, WA

'79 R65 - the rolling running project bike
    '08 R12RT - "new scoot"

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Wow - over twice as high as anything here in Florida.
    Yep, if you go to the top of Mount Woodall, you may get altitude sickness and or nose bleeds or both.

-Random comment
    I've been reading this thread with some amusement and nostalgia. I actually grew up outside Tupelo, MS, and lived about 1/2 mile from "the Trace". At that time, mid 50's to early 60's, the Trace was still gravel, and my buddies and I used to go ride our balloon tire bicycles along the roadway. On my bucket list is a trip back with a proper vehicle to ride the whole length - just for old times' sake.
    -W7lej1
    One vote for a "state of mind".

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by 72r60/7 View Post
    One vote for a "state of mind".

Charlie
    The Trace is a 'state of mind' and a step back in time. It's a casual ride, no pressure, easy going. It's a ride to reconnect with your yourself. Ride and enjoy.

. [QUOTE=mikegalbicka;1133119]French Camp looks like the perfect place for lunch. Any particular establishment come to mind?

The Council Café at French Camp is GOOD. It is within sight of the Trace, so not off your route at all. Also, if you don't want to go to Mt. Woodall, Jeff Busby State Park (mile marker 193.1) is pretty and at the top of Little Mountain Trail it is 603 ft. with a pretty view. If the campground host is there (his name is Ian), stop & chat with him if you have time. He is a wonderful, intelligent man.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

[QUOTE=shortythorne;1133199].
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    French Camp looks like the perfect place for lunch. Any particular establishment come to mind?

The Council Café at French Camp is GOOD. It is within sight of the Trace, so not off your route at all. Also, if you don't want to go to Mt. Woodall, Jeff Busby State Park (mile marker 193.1) is pretty and at the top of Little Mountain Trail it is 603 ft. with a pretty view. If the campground host is there (his name is Ian), stop & chat with him if you have time. He is a wonderful, intelligent man.
    The Council Café at French Camp & Jeff Busby State Park -- thanks for tickling my fading memory, Gail. Those are the names I botched in my post above. Council Café IS good! And it is the only place to eat in sight of the Trace!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by shortythorne View Post
    Thanks Gail. That was the one we were looking at visiting.