Thread: Natchez Trace Parkway

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar

Natchez Trace Parkway

I am thinking about riding this up and back soon with the wife as pillon and see that there are some warnings about road damage in Mississippi. Has anybody ridden it lately and if so how much of a problem did this cause if any?

We live in Mississippi and ride the Trace quite often. I haven't heard about any serious "problems", but I'll see what I can find out for you. Give me a few days.... Gail
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    I am thinking about riding this up and back soon with the wife as pillon and see that there are some warnings about road damage in Mississippi. Has anybody ridden it lately and if so how much of a problem did this cause if any?
    mikegalbicka,

From what I can find out, there was some downed trees, etc. last week due to wind. However, it appears that most of that was horse riding trails/hiking. I seriously doubt that there would be any closed sections of the Trace itself, being that it is a major route. Closer to time for you to make your trip, you can re-check at www.nps.gov/natr/planyourvisit/conditions.htm In the meantime, if I hear of anything other than this I will let you know. The Trace is absolutely beautiful, and I recommend stopping at French Camp along the way. Also, Jeff Busby Park has free camping (no showers), but nice restrooms. Gail
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Thanks Gail. That is where I saw this warning which had me wondering.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/learn/news/...-travelers.htm

Both of those links are pretty old...I found them earlier. I have seen that using Google maps, it will indicate areas of slow down or detour. I did a portion of the Parkway from Jackson to Tupelo, MS, and there doesn't appear to be any issues shown on the map.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I wondered about the date being old too but probably wrongly assumed if it was no longer relevant it would be removed.

Nice pastoral ride. The trace is usually on the back side of plantations and farms. Stick to the speed limits, which is relatively slow. The trace is usually well patroled by law enforcement. Ride and enjoy.