• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

North East Coast to Des Moine Rally

tcarven

Any one headed to the Rally from the north East Coast to the rally? Would like to travel with any one headed that way. Planning on two or three days leaving on Monday the 9th. Camping on the way.

Whereabouts will you be riding from?

We've got a number of riders going from Nova Scotia and vicinity (BMWONS - BMW Owners of Nova Scotia). Most will be leaving earlier to get there on the evening of the 11th. However, some will be leaving a various dates going different routes. I'm leaving the Bluenose Rally Sunday at noon (we're co-hosting so I need to stay till the end) and then doing a bit of a blitz run to be in Toronto Monday evening.

Several of us will be meeting up on Tuesday evening at the Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Southeast/Hammond, IN and riding into Des Moines together on Wednesday, but we're taking a detour on Wednesday to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright, Lowell Walter House, in Cedar Rock along the way.

If you give me your anticipated schedule/route, I can put a note out to the club in case any of our members are going that general way and camping, around the same time.

Leaving Upstate New York,near Kingston NY. On Monday July 9th.

Hmmm, that's not exactly the Northeast Coast! :scratch

I think a lot of us just sort of meander in the general direction of the rally, taking interesting twists and turns as we go. I'll take a week to get there from Vermont, wandering thru the Adirondacks and Alleghenies, over to Lake Michigan and either over or across it to Wisconsin, more exploring as we work our way to the Driftless Region. Others make a mad dash stopping only for food and fuel...and hotel it to save the setup and breakdown time needed for camping.

It might help if you share a bit about your riding style, personal avoidances, etc.

Pete

Leaving Upstate New York,near Kingston NY. On Monday July 9th.
I think most everyone from our region will likely be about 800 miles west of you by Monday evening. As Pete mentioned, most from our group will also be taking their time.

I'm the only one being rushed (due to not leaving the southern part of NS until Sunday afternoon, but the rush stops once I connect up with my riding buddy in Toronto. From there we'll ride west to visit another friend and view his collection (Ducati SS90 round-case, JPS Norton Commando, '77 R100RS, etc.). We'll ride secondary roads along the shores of Lake Huron and Lake Michigan before cutting west to visit the FLW house and then on to the Rally.

Back