• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Service experience at BMW of Richfield, MN

czelous

I just had my first, and last, service experience at:

BMW Motorcycles of Richfield
401 West 77TH Street Richfield, MN , 55423

I’d very much like to get in touch with the owner. If you have any contact information for them, please send it over.

Thanks.

I just had my first, and last, service experience at:

BMW Motorcycles of Richfield
401 West 77TH Street Richfield, MN , 55423

I’d very much like to get in touch with the owner. If you have any contact information for them, please send it over.

Thanks.

They are part of the Tom Wood Automotive Group out of Indianapolis.

Joe

Joe

So I take it the service manager or the general manager would not be sufficient? If that is the case I suspect that trying to talk to the CEO of a corporate conglomerate located a few states away might be akin to pounding sand. You of course do have the option of BMW Customer Relations which might be helpful.

Joe

I believe the store was sold to new owners early in 2018. I also have been told by the new GM that the store has hired all new employees with motorcycle experience. When they first opened, store was managed non motorcycle staff. I purchased my 1600B their last year and had a very poor service experience with the old staff. Try giving the new team another chance.

My only time going there was kinda odd as I walked around an empty store, there were bikes but no people. I couldn't find any oil so I decided to pick up a T-shirt and after wandering around for 10-15 minutes I went into the car dealership attached to get someone to rig me up.
Don't think I'll be heading back...

Forget all that customer service and vehicle maintenance crap, I want to know about the important stuff like did they meet the showroom square footage requirements, and were the carpet, counter surfaces, and walls done up to BMW-decor spec on surface and color? And tell me they didn’t pollute the BMW sales floor with bikes or accessories from another marque...
:huh :bluduh :eek :rolleyes

Best,
DG

I stopped in last September to purchase an extra key for my new RT. At that time they had a small new bike selection, a couple used bikes and all the normal BMW gear/flash. It is part of an auto dealer, but they seemed to be carving out space. I had great customer service, even called me the day the key came in, and received a discount for being an MOA/MN club member.

Poor Experience - Richfield BMW

I went there this summer to order a key for the 2009 R1200RT that I purchased from a private seller. They told me I needed to buy a new ignition module since I didn’t have the key code. I was prepared by having the title with me.
A quick trip south to another BMW dealer in Lakeville and I was able to order a key without the code.
I pulled the order for the service CD from Richfield and placed the order with the other dealer.

Same experience as others, I wondered around the dealership for 10 mins before being asked if I wanted help. I told him I needed to order parts. 20 mins later I was ready to lease as there still wasn’t anyone to take my order. The salesman quickly retrieved the parts person but totally experience will keep me from ever going back.

Paul - Woodbury

I was visiting family in MN in August and stopped by the store one day to check it out as this is a new store and location. I drove right by it the first time as they share a space with a car dealership, Mazda I believe? Lots of cars out front but not many bikes. It is a small space in the corner of the larger auto dealership. Not really a very bike friendly location. I walked around inside with my daughter pretty quickly, not a lot to see. I was sitting on the new GS when a salesman approached and asked if I was familiar with the bike? I replied that I currently ride an 07. He asked if I was interested in upgrading and I replied that I have been thinking about it, but not today as I live in AZ. He immediately turns and walks away. My daughter says to me, that was weird. I will not be going back.

Most of these places change help rather fast.....and unless you delt with the owner and found that the way you were treated was their MO, your next visit could be completely different.
OM

BMW has tried motorcycle and car dealerships together a few times. Several have been dismal failures because they tended to be managed if not totally staffed by car guys, not bike guys. I understand but have no first hand knowledge that a few of these have worked out. The ones that I have heard about tend to have motorcycle enthusiast management and staff. Those with good experiences please pipe in here.

Last edited:
Why doesn't every BMW motorcycle dealer have at least one bike guy on staff that is a BMW MOA member? It sure seems like someone from the dealership could be monitoring this forum and responding to the issues. Even the other shops in MN; Leos in Lakeville and Moon Motors in Monticello could have somebody on staff that looks at this stuff and says Hey guys, sorry you had a bad experience in Richfield, why don't you come talk to us and we will try and make it right. Your thoughts?

Why doesn't every BMW motorcycle dealer have at least one bike guy on staff that is a BMW MOA member? It sure seems like someone from the dealership could be monitoring this forum and responding to the issues. Even the other shops in MN; Leos in Lakeville and Moon Motors in Monticello could have somebody on staff that looks at this stuff and says Hey guys, sorry you had a bad experience in Richfield, why don't you come talk to us and we will try and make it right. Your thoughts?

That is just too logical. My take is that most dealerships are at least modestly understaffed and overworked. Some dealerships do have folks who are MOA members who engage here on the forum. I can recall two or three over the past five years. That isn't very many. I know a few dealerships that engage with folks at BMW MOA rallies but they are mostly vendors. I do know a few dealers that attend the big rallies because they like to. Bottom line, I suspect the excuse is that they are too busy just keeping the doors open. And BMW MOA members can be a ruthless and ungrateful bunch; trying on helmets at the dealer and then buying on the internet, for example. Or incessantly griping about BMW parts pricing as if the dealer can really control this.

Moon Motorsports in Monticello, MN is the dealership to go to. They are a multiple line power sports dealer. Very friendly and helpful. I bought my R1200RT slightly used elsewhere, but I popped in and had a visit with a salesman to find out more about the bike as they sold it originally. The guy I was talking to was very helpful and turned out to be the owner. Parts guys are helpful and friendly.

Back