• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service interval for wethead GSA driveshaft

I am looking for info regarding lubing the driveshaft splines on a a wethead GSA. I have a 2015 GSA with 66,000 miles accured. What is the recommended service interval for the spline lube? I cannot find any info published by BMW.

If you have it apart for some other reason, or if you ride in deep water and submerge the swingarm, put some lube on the splines. Spline lube is not on the maintenance schedule. The design of the rear suspension is essentially a perfect parallelogram, so there is no spline movement as the wheel moves up and down. It's common for the splines to be found free of grease but still unworn.

On our K1300S bikes, I tipped back the final drive and also pulled back the front boot so I could check the splines. They were fine, but I still cleaned them and applied new lube.
I plan to do the same on our wetheads because I have seen some nasty rusty splines on new GSs and at least one said he had never went through a water crossing.
As mentioned above it's not mentioned in the service schedule.

On our K1300S bikes, I tipped back the final drive and also pulled back the front boot so I could check the splines. They were fine, but I still cleaned them and applied new lube.
I plan to do the same on our wetheads because I have seen some nasty rusty splines on new GSs and at least one said he had never went through a water crossing.
As mentioned above it's not mentioned in the service schedule.

On my 2005 RT I had to tip the final drive down to drain the oil, so it only made sense to grease the splines while they were accessible. It is easy and quick to do.

On my 2005 RT I had to tip the final drive down to drain the oil, so it only made sense to grease the splines while they were accessible. It is easy and quick to do.

The issue is the splines on the transmission output shaft. You could not access those by simply lowering the FD.

I’ve tried that and, while possible, found it more effort than removing the swing arm. Doing so also allows for a careful check of the u-joints.

I’ve tried that and, while possible, found it more effort than removing the swing arm. Doing so also allows for a careful check of the u-joints.

It was easy on the K1300S. I have not tried it on Wethead R1200RS and may find it more difficult.
Good point on the U-joint check.

Back