• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS-911 Connectivity Issues

pappy35

Any get this fault with a GS-911?

Error: Attempting to connect to this controller timed out:
Possible ReasonsL
Killswitch not on Run
Module not fitted
Signal problem or faulty wiring

I just got it and it worked fine the first time I used it but now it won't connect. Any ideas?

PS - This is for a 2013 RT. I did connect to it fine when I first got the 911, registered it, read data from the bike etc. Just completed a 6k service and was trying to read and clear faults when this issue cropped-up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180416-211711 (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20180416-211711 (1).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 95
There are videos floating around on You Tube and other sites that show how to use the GS-911. I doubt any address your connectivity problem. Ted has held seminars at past national rallies on how to use the device. Is yours a WiFi version? Is it yellow or red?

Thanks for your response AK. I watched, and rewatched, all I could find on YouTube. It's red, wifi, 10-pin round. I'm at work so I can't get to the bike/device at the moment it but I have used it successfully in wired (USB), access point (home router), and D2D modes with both my phone and my laptop.

After completing the 6k service I tried plugging it in and this is when it stopped working. I tried with the side stand up and down, engine running (so I know it does actually run with no check engine light or any other apparent issues) and not running. It does show the battery voltage so I know it's getting power and I can connect to it use my phone app and my laptop via wifi.

I can't figure out what I might have done changing fluids and checking the valves that would cause a connection problem. I know that the engine's ambient temperature probe and radio button panel is disconnected but I wouldn't expect these to cause a disruption that shut down the CAN bus data stream. I mean, part of the supposed utility of a device like is to be able to isolate failed or open-circuited sensors and it did idle just fine.

I was an jet engine control system engineer for a few years so I'm very familiar with data-bus systems (ARINC) but have zero experience with BMW CAN bus networking.

I took the connector (receptacle) off the bike and found a couple of loose pins. Looks someone was messing with it or it was bad from OEM. Regardless, I recrimped them and now it works perfectly. Thanks for the suggestions fellas.

Back