• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello to all, I am Charlie Griffin, Summerfield, N.C., Just bought an R 1200R.

The bike purchased is an R1200R, 2007 with 10k, and has been dealer lowered with HYPERPRO shocks and a shortened side stand.
Being a Newbie, I need lots of help and all suggestions are much appreciated.
Question??? Have any of the owners lowered the Center Stand and what are the steps in doing so?
I have provision for cutting and welding, but concerned as to where it will hit on the exhaust.

Made a maiden trip this past weekend to the N.C. mountains and travels down the Blue Ridge Parkway.
The bike was a dream, and hopefully my riding skills will improve to the bikes level.
Best Wishes to all,

Charlie Griffin

Welcome to the forum Charlie

Charlie - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your R1200R! You mentioned in your intro that the R1200R had been lowered and that the side stand had been shortened; did they not shorten the side stand enough?

DesertBob

Charlie - Welcome to the forum and congrats on your R1200R! You mentioned in your intro that the R1200R had been lowered and that the side stand had been shortened; did they not shorten the side stand enough?

DesertBob

Centerstand!

DesertBob

The bike was lowered as well as the side stand, but the side stand still seems too long. When placed on the side stand, the amount of lean ( angle ), is not enough to have a comfort level when parked. The shocks used for lowering are HYPERPRO, and I can see that they could be adjusted raising the bike a small amount,
( maybe 3/4 to 1 in. ) and still fit my height. Also the center stand is too long and unusable....What are your thoughts? I really appreciate your input.
Charlie Griffin

I have a 16 RT so it's a different bike but I also lowered it 1" with Tractive shocks from Beemershop. I initially cut off .75" from the side stand but decided that wasn't enough so took another .5" off for total of 1.25". Now I'm happy with it. Regarding the center stand, I initially left it stock but had a hard time getting it up if I had any luggage at all. I took off 1" right at the feet and didn't have any clearance issues. I'm really happy with the set up now. Of course you have a different bike. Have not had any lean angle clearance issues even while riding aggressively.

Welcome to the forum! :wave

As a workaround for the center stand, you can use a modification of the way I get the bike higher for wheel removal. Line up three lengths of 2x6 lumber, each about 24" long. Roll the bike up on the wood so a wheel is on each of the end pieces. Kick out the center piece and deploy the center stand. (For my purposes, the end pieces are longer, the stand lands on the perpendicular center piece, which is just a few inches longer than the stand width, and I remove the end pieces after the bike is on the stand.)

Not much help when you are away from the garage, but it is workable for storage and maintenance at home.

...The bike was a dream, and hopefully my riding skills will improve to the bikes level.
Best Wishes to all,

Charlie Griffin

Welcome to the forum, Charlie! Glad to have you among us. My experience is that your riding skills will NEVER improve enough to match the bike. Mine certainly have not. I do not believe any of us can be as good a rider as our bikes are machines. Simply learn all you can, practice all you can, obey the laws, and trust the bike when you get into trouble--it will compensate for most of your stupid human mistakes.

Good luck.

I have a 16 RT so it's a different bike but I also lowered it 1" with Tractive shocks from Beemershop. I initially cut off .75" from the side stand but decided that wasn't enough so took another .5" off for total of 1.25". Now I'm happy with it. Regarding the center stand, I initially left it stock but had a hard time getting it up if I had any luggage at all. I took off 1" right at the feet and didn't have any clearance issues. I'm really happy with the set up now. Of course you have a different bike. Have not had any lean angle clearance issues even while riding aggressively.

Thanks for the information, I will certainly use it!

Welcome to the forum, Charlie! Glad to have you among us. My experience is that your riding skills will NEVER improve enough to match the bike. Mine certainly have not. I do not believe any of us can be as good a rider as our bikes are machines. Simply learn all you can, practice all you can, obey the laws, and trust the bike when you get into trouble--it will compensate for most of your stupid human mistakes.

Good luck.

Great advise! It's not the Horse, must be the Rider.
Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum! :wave

As a workaround for the center stand, you can use a modification of the way I get the bike higher for wheel removal. Line up three lengths of 2x6 lumber, each about 24" long. Roll the bike up on the wood so a wheel is on each of the end pieces. Kick out the center piece and deploy the center stand. (For my purposes, the end pieces are longer, the stand lands on the perpendicular center piece, which is just a few inches longer than the stand width, and I remove the end pieces after the bike is on the stand.)

Not much help when you are away from the garage, but it is workable for storage and maintenance at home.

Great idea...thanks !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Charlie!

Welcome to the forum Charlie!

I don't have the same bike as you, so I can't give you any helpful advise, but we're just around the corner from each other.
Currently living in Walburg.

Dave

Back