• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel carriers

Has it ever leaked PGlaves?

The fuel cell itself has welded seams and a simple bung that extends out beyond the exterior of the top box. The valve is of course outside the top box. The filler is a stand pipe up into the top box extending 5 or so inches above the fuel level. It has a threaded cap with a cork gasket. It has never leaked. There is a small vent hose that extends up and out of the top box. Fumes in the top box have never been an issue.

The MSR bottle is a little quarter liter bottle used to fill the stove. It is carried in a box with miscellaneous "kitchen" stuff in one of the side cases, along with the cook kit and stove. Neither the little bottle nor the stove have ever leaked.

just as an aside

I agree that for the most part, we probably don't need additional fuel considering the range of our BMW's. However, for those folks that ride at night, I can tell you a story of having pulled into a gas station just as they were turning out the lights (at approx. 1:30am). And I had been riding quite awhile before I found the one and ONLY gas station that was still open. I was at the point that I was thinking that I would have to set up my tent behind one of these stations until morning. Thankfully, the owner turned on the pumps and let me gas up before he closed up.

While in the Yukon I found the town of Ross River to be out of fuel and it was quite handy to have the extra go go juice on the bike to make it to Faro.... You just never know what you’ll find at the near end of your fuel range out in very remote wilderness..:dunno

While in the Yukon I found the town of Ross River to be out of fuel and it was quite handy to have the extra go go juice on the bike to make it to Faro.... You just never know what you’ll find at the near end of your fuel range out in very remote wilderness..:dunno

Especially in remote places, do not pass up a chance for fuel. Gas early and often.

The 3 30 litre bottles arrived today. I've set up so they will be carried behind the top case in a sachel, strapped down sitting upright and should be fine, even if they leak. That and any smell will be vented in to the air behind me as I ride. At night in camp, the satchel will come off anyway along with dry bag and tank bag [ motels only ]. While camping the satchel has to be removed to get into the top case only when I need clothes as that's assigned for clothes only.

Giant Loop has a different approach

I've used Giant Loop's Gas Bag (or, Fuel-safe Bladder) on my Xchallenge, because the bike's fuel tank only holds 2.5 gallons and it's not the easiest bike to carry stuff on.

The 1-gallon model below fits in one of my tank panniers nicely if you only fill it to about 3/4 gallon. It's rugged as hell, doesn't require any mounts and can be packed at least a dozen different ways. Depending on your bike you may want some of the accessories, such as a filler spout.

These are now available in several sizes, and Giant Loop stuff is among the best there is. Plus, they are a strong supporter of the GS Giants!

Ian

GL-Gas_Bag_Perspective_preview-X2.png

I've used Giant Loop's Gas Bag (or, Fuel-safe Bladder) on my Xchallenge, because the bike's fuel tank only holds 2.5 gallons and it's not the easiest bike to carry stuff on.

The 1-gallon model below fits in one of my tank panniers nicely if you only fill it to about 3/4 gallon. It's rugged as hell, doesn't require any mounts and can be packed at least a dozen different ways. Depending on your bike you may want some of the accessories, such as a filler spout.

These are now available in several sizes, and Giant Loop stuff is among the best there is. Plus, they are a strong supporter of the GS Giants!

Ian

GL-Gas_Bag_Perspective_preview-X2.png

I would love to get a 1 or 2 gal model for my WR but the prices stops me.

Eddie

Primus fuel bottles inside document storage containers

Plus one other fuel bottle I carried inside side bag. I carried about a gallon extra; mostly I was just having fun figuring out how to carry more gas. I never ran out of gas anyway as my butt always got tired way to soon.

Attachments

• k75IMG_1384.jpg
    k75IMG_1384.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 58
  • k75IMG_1387.jpg
    k75IMG_1387.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 58
  • K751391.jpg
    K751391.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 58
Back