Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fuel carriers

Old Indian Trick

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Along with the other reasons, it doesnít take much to make everything smell like gas. If one of your cases was only tools and other items that really canít absorb the smell of gas, you will be fine.
    I always refuel my equipment (gas and diesel) at the end of the day........so I donít have to smell it all day.
    I have 2 ďtool tubesĒ mounted on the TW200 with extra gas- used SeaFoam containers. Itís there and no smell or associated contamination.
    Give it a try on a day ride using the spare gas and see how you make out.
    OM
    Old Indian said carry sea foam can full of kerosene, diesel or used cooking oil to make starting campfire easier

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Wasnít really what I was thinking. Iím thinking the empty container(s) are going to smell.
    OM
    I'll try that before I leave, if they do, it's a no go for me. Good heads up, thanks
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    I have carried extra gas in MSR bottles outside of my aluminum panniers to avoid getting fumes/spills inside. I have three one liter bottles for gas and one 1/2 liter for engine oil. It saved my hide in the Yukon when Ross River was out of fuel where I had planned to refill. I made it to the next town where I did get gas. Even a GSA can run low from time to time when things donít quite go as planned...
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    I Even a GSA can run low from time to time when things donít quite go as planned...
    My R1150R has a Jesse Luggage top box. The bottom half of the top box is a welded aluminum container that hold 3.5 gallons of extra fuel. With that bike I have no need to mess with MSR bottles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    My R1150R has a Jesse Luggage top box. The bottom half of the top box is a welded aluminum container that hold 3.5 gallons of extra fuel. With that bike I have no need to mess with MSR bottles.
    That is a nice setup for sure, but I use the MSR bottles for cooking as well.
    MOA # 108516

That is a nice setup for sure, but I use the MSR bottles for cooking as well.
    I carry a small MSR bottle with my stove. And the fuel cell in the top box has a valve tap so I can refill the little fuel bottle. My stove burns the same fuel as my bike.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

......... My stove burns the same fuel as my bike.
    A stove that uses nitromethane..... a three minute egg must take under ten seconds.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

I carry a small MSR bottle with my stove. And the fuel cell in the top box has a valve tap so I can refill the little fuel bottle. My stove burns the same fuel as my bike.
    Has it ever leaked PGlaves?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Has it ever leaked PGlaves?
    The fuel cell itself has welded seams and a simple bung that extends out beyond the exterior of the top box. The valve is of course outside the top box. The filler is a stand pipe up into the top box extending 5 or so inches above the fuel level. It has a threaded cap with a cork gasket. It has never leaked. There is a small vent hose that extends up and out of the top box. Fumes in the top box have never been an issue.

The MSR bottle is a little quarter liter bottle used to fill the stove. It is carried in a box with miscellaneous "kitchen" stuff in one of the side cases, along with the cook kit and stove. Neither the little bottle nor the stove have ever leaked.

just as an aside

I agree that for the most part, we probably don't need additional fuel considering the range of our BMW's. However, for those folks that ride at night, I can tell you a story of having pulled into a gas station just as they were turning out the lights (at approx. 1:30am). And I had been riding quite awhile before I found the one and ONLY gas station that was still open. I was at the point that I was thinking that I would have to set up my tent behind one of these stations until morning. Thankfully, the owner turned on the pumps and let me gas up before he closed up.
    Enjoying the ride, but always on the alert for a rally.......

While in the Yukon I found the town of Ross River to be out of fuel and it was quite handy to have the extra go go juice on the bike to make it to Faro.... You just never know what youíll find at the near end of your fuel range out in very remote wilderness..
    MOA # 108516

While in the Yukon I found the town of Ross River to be out of fuel and it was quite handy to have the extra go go juice on the bike to make it to Faro.... You just never know what youíll find at the near end of your fuel range out in very remote wilderness..
    Especially in remote places, do not pass up a chance for fuel. Gas early and often.

The 3 30 litre bottles arrived today. I've set up so they will be carried behind the top case in a sachel, strapped down sitting upright and should be fine, even if they leak. That and any smell will be vented in to the air behind me as I ride. At night in camp, the satchel will come off anyway along with dry bag and tank bag [ motels only ]. While camping the satchel has to be removed to get into the top case only when I need clothes as that's assigned for clothes only.

Especially in remote places, do not pass up a chance for fuel. Gas early and often.
    Absolutely!
    MOA # 108516