• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Removing starter relay on /7

docbob1

I'm trying to remove the starter relay on my 1977 RS. It sits on a bracket pressed up against the frame and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it off. There must be something obvious that I'm missing so input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob Unger

Bob -

The relay has male terminals that plug into female sockets. Typically you would grab the relay on two opposite sides and rock it back and forth while pulling up. Be sure that the battery ground is disconnected from the engine. You may be able to get a small screwdriver under an edge and start the process of removal by prying it upwards.

Relay removal

I just replaced mine was able to twist to front to get some room to remove.
For the new relay I tried one from local auto parts that looked like it matched plugged in but no work , ordered one from capital Cycle $22.91 plus shipping it works ordered one from auto parts place in Arizona called autohaus i think it was around $14 with free shipping also works, the capital Cycle relay is a Bosch or whoever makes them for Bosch now , do a internet search on the Bosch # on the old relay and stuff comes up that works if yours is not original pm me and I will send you the # off my old relay

Ditto on disconnecting the battery. There is one of the terminals that is hot all the time and if you would hit it and ground at the same time !!!!!

Back