• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Concensus on most reliable years/models

brownie0486

With the vast knowledge base here, I'd like to hear what the more seasoned members believe to be the most reliable, trouble free Bimmer overall, in their experience.

Model, years etc. where there are LESS known issues, recalls etc.

I'm thinking of trading or just outright buying another Bimmer [ used ] and am looking at the GS's, the GT's and the RT's. I'm a little uncomfortable on the 2007 K1200gt's seat height as I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam [ though the pants always say 32 ].

Thanks

Brownie,
who will be heading to Hawthorne, California this Friday for the "live to ride" one day training course with Hawthorne motor officers.

Are we talking Bimmers or Beemers? There is a difference! :stick

I think you're going to have a tough time defining reliable. Plus one person's issues with a particular model might be no big deal to someone else.

Reliable?

With the vast knowledge base here, I'd like to hear what the more seasoned members believe to be the most reliable, trouble free Bimmer overall, in their experience.

Model, years etc. where there are LESS known issues, recalls etc.

I'm thinking of trading or just outright buying another Bimmer [ used ] and am looking at the GS's, the GT's and the RT's. I'm a little uncomfortable on the 2007 K1200gt's seat height as I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam [ though the pants always say 32 ].

Thanks

Brownie,
who will be heading to Hawthorne, California this Friday for the "live to ride" one day training course with Hawthorne motor officers.

Two owners can own the same model and have a different interpretation of what reliable means. Its like trying to define quality. You need something to compare it to.

I've been extremely satisfied with every BMW I've owned. They've been mostly trouble free and I've logged over 300,000 miles on them.

Harley owners, Honda owers, etc., etc, can all make similar claims I'm guessing.

Least troublesome - K75 from 1986-1995.

Reliable - R1100 Oilhead models.

Best late model bikes: R1200 "wet head" water cooled.

Most troublesome = the more gadgets and gizmos to go wrong will go wrong.

YMMV

Are we talking Bimmers or Beemers? There is a difference! :stick

I think you're going to have a tough time defining reliable. Plus one person's issues with a particular model might be no big deal to someone else.

I was under the impression that bimmers referred to motors and beamers referred to caged. Is this distinction wrong?

Defining reliable for me is "trouble free", with less recalls/problems with the designs etc.

I can easily compare the four boxers I have had, an two airheads, an oil head, and now a wet head.

The airheads were probably the most troublesome, but I put over 200,000 miles on the first one so it is hard to blame it. In terms of issues/mile an R100RT was the worst, but that was more the fault of a previous owner. I think it had been abused. My 1999 RT was trouble free and my 2015 R is also so far.

Model, years etc. where there are LESS known issues, recalls etc...
If you're wanting to stay within the boxer motor models, the later model R1200RS is on the sportier side of sport-touring. If you are willing to consider a non-boxer BMW, you might wish to look at a used F800GT. They seem to be one of the most reliable BMW models made. And for someone your size, they might fit you like a glove.

Chris

I'm stickin' with my R75/5 thanks. No major issues since it came out of the crate in '73.

Bimmer, beemer, potato, patater.. .. . glad we got that straighten out. :banghead

Brownie, I'm 5'8"-5'9" with a 30" inseam and wear a 30" leg for my jeans, etc., so about the same as you with perhaps slightly shorter legs and longer torso.

Anyway, I've always felt that is not just fit but comfort level as well. I'm fine with most bikes except off-road bikes with very high seats and the GSA. A regular GS or RT is fine for me if I have the seat in the lowest position, especially with a Sargent seat which is a little narrower at the very front so my feet reach the ground fine on my R|TW.

For reliability and flexibility, I'd suggest that you consider late-model /7 Airhead bikes and then go all the way to the water-cooled Boxers. You'll have the least weight with the lowest center of gravity with those two extremes and with proper maintenance the /7 (like most other Beemers) will do 250,000+ without major issues "normally" (not everyone gets to have a normal experience and some bikes have issues). The early R1200 models didn't get sorted out until a few years into their production as was the case with early /7 models. Once you got closer to their final years all their issues had been resolved. However, the water-cooled Boxers seem to be very reliable from the beginning with the exception of a faulty batch of rear shocks on the early ones and some GS fork stancions.

I've had a good number of bikes (ridden a lot of bikes) and still have several but for me, my 2014 R1200RT is the best and most versatile I've ever ridden and it's service intervals are great. Enjoy it every time I ride it. If I could only have one bike, it would be an RTW. Having said that, everyone is different, so YMMV. Good luck with the selection process.

Thank you for that detailed post Alan, I like the rt's myself. I'll look into the 2014's and see what I can find

Reliability doesn't matter so much if you're uncomfortable riding it. It seems they're both issues. Look for something still under warranty, and, or extended warrant, and you won't have to worry quite as much.

E.

"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who say they've found it."
Andre Gide

It's pretty simple ...

BMW are continuously improved.

Generally the first generation of a particular model lasts ~5 years. Then it is "facelifted." This could mean new styling or even a major engine upgrade or both. An easy example is the transition from the "hexhead" (2005-2009) to the "camhead" (2010-2013). This was the same frame and transmission and basically the same engine, but with new fairing styling and new engine valvetrain configuration. And a few more things (switchgear).

Within all this there can be more minor running changes ... an example being the transmission upgrade on the Wetheads for 2017.

The answer to the question, then, is the newer the better. First year models can be a bit iffy.

Least troublesome - K75 from 1986-1995.

Reliable - R1100 Oilhead models.

Best late model bikes: R1200 "wet head" water cooled.

Most troublesome = the more gadgets and gizmos to go wrong will go wrong.

YMMV
For what it's worth, I would second Paul's post on the earlier models. I can't speak about the newer bikes. Personally, I believe airheads are now simply putt-around-town, short ride display pieces. They are old, most need a lot of work to be reliable, and have too many disadvantages as far as safety goes. Poor brakes, no ABS, weak charging systems, usually worn out original shocks, and actual mileage often unknown due to odometer failure at some point. They have usually been through several owners, few of whom past the original cared to maintain them that well.

The 1100s, of which I have to say I own one, have always seemed to be excellent on reliability. Very little fancy electronics, few input shaft problems that seem to plague the 1150s, no whizzy brakes, fuel gauge, heated grips, etc. I view mine as pretty much a greatly improved airhead.

The k75 models are legendary in their durability, although they too are getting up there in years. But unlike the airheads, when overhauled, they will be pretty trouble-free.

Everyone now wants the most gadgets possible on both their cars and motorcycles. It's the IPhone generation. Of course in both cases, no one can fix them except the dealer, making them rather costly to own. If I won the lottery and had money to burn, I "might consider" throwing $25,000 at a dealer for a new one. But probably not. Why bother? My 1100 runs fine.

Last edited:
Personally, I believe airheads are now simply putt-around-town, short ride display pieces. They are old, most need a lot of work to be reliable, and have too many disadvantages as far was safety goes. Poor brakes, no ABS, weak charging systems, usually worn out original shocks, and actual mileage often unknown due to odometer failure at some point. They have usually been through several owners, few of whom past the original cared to maintain them that well.

Ooooooooooo, now you've done it. The Airhead crew are lighting their torches and searching for pitchforks.

And I have a R90/6 (with odometer failure, I really gotta get that fixed).....

Back