Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Concensus on most reliable years/models

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Yes. Performance and major components (engine, transmission, etc) make these the "best", but problems with high tech components - GPS, audio, keyless fobs, anti-theft features - also make them the most commonly troublesome.
    Laughing as I type: My much loved 2017 GSA is a computer that incidentally carries an internal combustion engine along for the ride. There are occasional hiccups with "accessories" but god help us if the bike goes all "HAL":

A Space Odyssey, HAL (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer) is a sentient computer (or artificial general intelligence) that controls the systems of the Discovery One spacecraft and interacts with the ship's astronaut crew.

Quote Originally Posted by crucian View Post
    Laughing as I type: My much loved 2017 GSA is a computer that incidentally carries an internal combustion engine along for the ride. There are occasional hiccups with "accessories" but god help us if the bike goes all "HAL":

A Space Odyssey, HAL (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer) is a sentient computer (or artificial general intelligence) that controls the systems of the Discovery One spacecraft and interacts with the ship's astronaut crew.
    After pressing the start button: "Start the engine please HAL."
    HAL (or in this case the BMW's computer): "I'm sorry Dave, I just can't do that."

'13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Based on many replies, I picked up a 2012 1200GS. The last year of the series and hopefully after all the previous years bugs were worked out. Appreciate everyone's input, the last year in a series seemed to make sense to me.

As the bike is heading to Ak. in mid July on an 8K round trip to the arctic circle after having it's 12K service performed a few weeks beforehand, the bike will be tested. Time will tell.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Based on many replies, I picked up a 2012 1200GS. The last year of the series and hopefully after all the previous years bugs were worked out. Appreciate everyone's input, the last year in a series seemed to make sense to me.

As the bike is heading to Ak. in mid July on an 8K round trip to the arctic circle after having it's 12K service performed a few weeks beforehand, the bike will be tested. Time will tell.
    Excellent choice IMO. Only thing I'm aware on these (and it's not real common) is keep an eye on the rear engine and counterbalancer seals. If they're going to start seeping/leaking it usually happens early on.
    Last edited by milo; 05-17-2018 at 03:21 AM.
    16 R1200RS, 93 R100R, 17 Versys x300, 16 Africa Twin DCT, 15 Road King, No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by milo View Post
    Excellent choice IMO. Only thing I'm aware on these (and it's not real common) is keep an eye on the rear engine and counterbalancer seals. If they're going to start seeing/leaking it usually happens early on.
    Goes to my mechanic June 4th for 12K service. They are aware of the potential leaks you mention and will go over the bike with a fine tooth comb for me including checking the throttle connections for cracking and replace if there's any sign of a future problem. They know the bike is on a 2 year full warranty like new, so the service is on me and if they find even a hint of potential for the trip, it's fixed without my having to spend the money. They've worked with the warranty service contractor before and took my contract, made a copy and know how to submit for warranty payments.

Thanks for the heads up.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

More data-points:

Most reliable bike I've ever had- 2012 R1200GS

Least reliable bike I've ever had- 1995 R100R
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by crucian View Post
    HAL (Heuristically programmed ALgorithmic computer)
    What it stood for was an after-thought. HAL was just IBM with each letter moved one place up the alphabet.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Great years for the GS...2007 and 2009

I have had great luck with the 2007 GS and the 2009 GS. My friends had 2008 and 2006 models and had problems with their bikes that I never had. If you ever need a super low seat for a oil head GS I have a super low seat that was on my 2009 GS. The previous owner was very short - 5' 6" or so. She is the top East Coast GS rider for 2017
    TRedd

Quote Originally Posted by GSRedd View Post
    I have had great luck with the 2007 GS and the 2009 GS. My friends had 2008 and 2006 models and had problems with their bikes that I never had. If you ever need a super low seat for a oil head GS I have a super low seat that was on my 2009 GS. The previous owner was very short - 5' 6" or so. She is the top East Coast GS rider for 2017
    Pics? Would it fit the 2012GS? PM with price if you like.

GS year?

Let's muddy the water. I've had every year from 2004 (late) when they came out to 2012 which I recently sold. All had between 32 and 40k miles on them. I had a flat tire once on the way to Alaska. Oddly I was towed to a Harley dealer who installed the right sized tire and off I went. My fave was always the newest one.
    Marty Hill
    7 GS white

Ride till you can't