• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2011 - R1200R - Leak behind wheel flange

Returning from Moonshine yesterday morning I observed a fluid leak which appears to be coming from behind the rear wheel flange as I couldn't see any leaks around the pistons or calipers. I checked the rear wheel for movement several times during my 600 mile return, no damage "yet" to the bearing as everything is very tight, no movement in the wheel at all. I'm going to get the final drive fluid drained and check. So my question, anyone else experienced this? Any experience changing only the seal and reusing the bearing? I presume the entire drive will have to be disassembled to get at this seal, has anyone changed one?? Anyone have a .pdf of this model shop manual they could send me for reference? Tools for rent?

Thanks,

Thanks for posting that.

I really need to know the details of how the wheel side seal is pressed into the final drive case, is it installed from the inside or outside? Looking at the parts fiche it appears that it is installed from the outside. Also, is the wheel flange on these models press fit or shrink fit?

Thanks for posting that.

I really need to know the details of how the wheel side seal is pressed into the final drive case, is it installed from the inside or outside? Looking at the parts fiche it appears that it is installed from the outside. Also, is the wheel flange on these models press fit or shrink fit?

1) Installed from outside.
2) Press fit, heated to 130C to reinstall. (both??)

Not fun project without bunch of special tools for flange removal and install..............

Good luck.

GD

Back