• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R60 Centerstand Worn Close to Useless

72r60/7

This bikes center stand has definately seen its better days and goes past its useful point to where both wheels are firmly on the ground. May be just a matter of time before both wheels are horizontal from falling over.

I’m only guessing that the original design was for one of the wheels to be off of the ground when the stand was in use. I don’t know which one.

Anyone have a stand that works properly and a protractor so as to give a plus or minus degree number from level ground that the legs of the stand should be ?

I need to fix this one and sure would save some trial and error to have a starting point.

Thanks,
Charlie

Charlie -

Normally, the rear tire is off the ground. I don't have a protractor, but did some measurements on my R69S sitting on the centerstand. The center of the bolt at the frame is about 250mm above the ground. A projection of the centerstand arm to the ground is at a point that is 155mm in front of the vertical dropped from the bolt. If I did my math right, that means that the centerstand is angled about 32 degrees forward...it's definitely not 45 degrees, so 30-35 seems about right. My rear tire is about an inch off the ground, but that measurement depends on the size of the tire (mine is 4.00x18) and the manufacturer.

I think you can weld some material onto the tab on the stand so that it contacts the frame sooner rather than later. Once you find the right amount, you can trim things as necessary to get the angle that you want.

I think you can weld some material onto the tab on the stand so that it contacts the frame sooner rather than later. Once you find the right amount, you can trim things as necessary to get the angle that you want.

Great!
Thanks as usual.

Your measurements should maybe make it possible to measure or use clay to make an impression of the gap between worn (existing) and proper stand design.

Certainly will make it easier to push off the stand.

Charlie

When you get things the way you like it, future deployment of the stand is a must. If you're in the habit of jerking the bike up on the stand and letting it flop back, that will begin the decline of the support. By grabbing the top rail heading towards the shock, you can control the descent of the bike as it settles onto the stand. Duane Ausherman has discussed how it's possible to put the bike on the center stand with out using the hands to lift the bike by the frame. IIRC he uses the calf on his right leg to push on the passenger peg to move the bike up onto the stand...then use the handlebars to keep the bike from slamming back.

What year and model is important!

It is important to know this! Pre-69 55-69 bikes (swing arm front end) the front wheel sits on the ground when the bike is on the center stand. Post /2 (/5, /6, /7...etc) the the front wheel is off the ground and the back tire rests on the ground except for after market center stands such as the Reynolds ride off stands.

/5, /6 and /7 bikes have for the most part the same center stand mounting tabs with minor improvements over the years. They all can be bent and damaged by overloading and heavy use.

The US /2 ('69-'69) used a telescopic front fork and a higher profile rear tire (4.00 instead of the 3.50) and different angles of engagement of the center stand.

/2 Earles fork bikes (post'62) had pretty strong and rigid center stand brackets on the frame but they can bend, wear out and break after time.

Pre-'62 bikes had very weak, substandard frame brackets for the center stand which easily bent and became distorted or even broken with normal use.

So in this case it is vital that the year and model of the bike, ' pre-'69 or post '69, US or earles fork, /5 or later or is it an aftermarket center stand?

Its also important to to know what size tires are on the bike. If you have a 4.00 rear tire on an Earles fork bike you could have a tire that has a too tall for the frame set up and the bike tirest will always rest on the ground and cause tipsy problems.

You also should look at the mounting bolts and bushings for the center stand. Regardless of which bike, year or front suspension you have if the center stand bushings, bolts or frame mounts are worn you have to fix those problems first.

It's important to provide year and model of the vintage bike and some pictures help too.

It is important to know this! Pre-69 55-69 bikes (swing arm front end) the front wheel sits on the ground when the bike is on the center stand. Post /2 (/5, /6, /7...etc) the the front wheel is off the ground and the back tire rests on the ground except for after market center stands such as the Reynolds ride off stands.

Charlie's profile says he owns a '57 R60. But, yes, it's useful to include model info so there's less confusion. :thumb

I should have provided proper information. (i.e. Year). Sorry.

As a relatively new owner of a Vintage model, to clarify the Series, I was under the impression that-R60- was indicative of any '55-('59-'60 ?) model and in the US, the /2 designations were for the years ('59-'60 ?) to '69. Is that not correct ?

I'm sure there were changes from year to year, though not like nowadays.

That being said, since the '57 models had inferior centerstands, do the newer centerstands fit the older '55 to '60. (even with a little modification) ?

Charlie

As a relatively new owner of a Vintage model, to clarify the Series, I was under the impression that-R60- was indicative of any '55-('59-'60 ?) model and in the US, the /2 designations were for the years ('59-'60 ?) to '69. Is that not correct ?

I'm sure there were changes from year to year, though not like nowadays.

That being said, since the '57 models had inferior centerstands, do the newer centerstands fit the older '55 to '60. (even with a little modification) ?

That's basically correct on the models and years. There were running changes, but they were fairly subtle. And also, I've seen where the general term of /2 covers all bikes from '55 to '69.

As for center stands, the RealOEM site shows that the part number 46524028047 was used for the whole range of /2 bikes, '55 to '69. Now it may be that BMW changed the parts from the early years to the later years but kept the same part number.

Thanks Kurt,

That's basically correct on the models and years. There were running changes, but they were fairly subtle. And also, I've seen where the general term of /2 covers all bikes from '55 to '69.
Is that just the polite way of saying " just call 'em all /2's" ?

Charlie

Back