• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Husqvarna motorcycles on a roll

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
Sweden's Husqvarna releases new line of street bikes in the US, defying drop in motorcycle sales

105130567-Vitpilen-701-street-bike--003.530x298.jpg

And I remember when the Husky's were a red gas tank with chrome sides.

105127938-Svartpilen-401-street-bike--001.530x298.jpg

More at this CNBC article- https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/14/hus...reet-bikes-but-it-may-be-hard-to-get-one.html

OM

A "real" Husqvarna -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hc5FvWmj0-U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, here is a better look at some real Husqvarna bikes havin' fun -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L-xrKE9rClg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

full movie here - [Warning! you might have the little OAS jingle in your mind the rest of the day] -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cN7tuTNCBZE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On Any Sunday and the movie follow-ups by Mr. Brown are really are a must see for the motorcycle enthusiast. It's motorcycling in it's purist form.

OM

Posting the full On Any Sunday video link was evil. I just stayed up half the night watching it again. I saw it when it came out, hard to believe it was 47 years ago. It holds up well, still a great tribute to the appeal of motorcycles.

I'm curious how they quell the vibes of a 750cc single...

Husky doesn’t mention a counter-balancer in the specs on their website. I’d guess that with today’s lighter piston/rod designs and materials it shouldn’t be all that difficult to reduce or almost eliminate vibes in a targeted rpm range, and to reduce the vibes through much of the rpm range. Odd that they don’t mention it, tho, as one would think it a question best answered before it is asked by the buying public.

Best,
DG

Husqvarna has gotten into the American Flat Track singles series. Shayna Texter is riding a FC450 that is stock except for the exhaust. Texter did not qualify in Daytona and was 7th in the main event in Atlanta. In 2017 she had five wins in the singles series and competed a limited schedule in the twins series.

Attachments

• shayne_texter_husqvarna-730x456.jpg
    shayne_texter_husqvarna-730x456.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 201
Husqvarna also produces lawn mowers, chain saws and weed eaters. I live in 12 month jungle growth territory and the Husky products for lawn and bush are junk. Stihl rules down here. Husqvarna brings to mind AMF with their foray into motorcycles and every other damn thing at one point. I will give them the benefit of doubt on the current quality of motorcycles, given their history. Now if Stihl ever produces a motorcycle, I'm all in!

KTM owns Husquvarna motor cycles. The 400 and 700 have KTM engines and I believe the basics frames are identical. 390 Duke and 690 Duke

Bultaco rules! Now if Stihl ever produces a motorcycle, I'm all in!

In 25 years of cutting things up, I mean down! used McCULLOCH/Echo/Homelite/Poulan & Husqvarna.
The Husky was the best of them all.
Then I got a Stihl!
Regards
Leth R Face

Last edited:

The 701 Husky uses the KTM 690 motor. That family of motors has always been counter balanced. In 2016 (I think) they added a second counter balancer which has apparently made the vibration reasonable. I rode a 2015 KTM 690 Duke and found the vibe unpleasant. I still bought a KTM, but I went with the 390 Duke which, with 40+ hp and even less weight, goes very nicely - at least as long as you like to work the shift...

I haven't had the opportunity to try the dual counterbalanced 2016 and later 690.

I thought that was part of the fun of a BIG Thumper :lol

The 701 Husky uses the KTM 690 motor. That family of motors has always been counter balanced. In 2016 (I think) they added a second counter balancer which has apparently made the vibration reasonable. I rode a 2015 KTM 690 Duke and found the vibe unpleasant. I still bought a KTM, but I went with the 390 Duke which, with 40+ hp and even less weight, goes very nicely - at least as long as you like to work the shift...

I haven't had the opportunity to try the dual counterbalanced 2016 and later 690.

We have a 2014 690 and a 2015 390, different siblings for sure. The 390 is mild compared to the thump of the 690, which at times is transfered thru your body...think lugging in third gear...or second.
Have not tried the updated engine package either...I read it is a bit smoother. I enjoy riding both as they feel like a Honda 100 from the 70's on steroids and so easy to handle on or off the bike. I smile everytime I hop on one.

In 25 years of cutting things up, I mean down! used McCULLOCH/Echo/Homelite/Poulan & Husqvarna.
The Husky was the best of them all.
Then I got a Stihl!
Regards
Freddy K.

Still on my 25 year old Husky! Soon to be out cutting up fire wood for next year!

I thought that was part of the fun of a BIG Thumper :lol

The rest of the fun of thumper vibration was looking for the parts that fell off. The real excitement of the old thumpers was kick starting them. My college roommate had a BSA 441 Victor with a magneto ignition (no battery). They didn't come with ignition keys, which was generally not a problem from an unauthorized use standpoint. You needed to have a practiced technique for that sucker as it wasn't shy about kicking back.

The 441 BSA was fairly happy being lugged. The big KTM singles are actually pretty revvy machines and are more pleasant when running some revs. My 390 Duke has the world's most unreadable tach, but it compensates with a programmable two level shift light. I have mine set so that when it lights, you shift (10,000). It has a rather harsh rev limiter at 11,000 RPM (I think, KTM didn't publish a redline). Running hard, you don't spend much time in each gear.

One of the really nice things about the KTMs is the really low weight. The 390 Duke is so light and agile it feels like like a pedal bike.

My oldest brother had a Maico 501...was told if I could kick it to life I could ride it... at15 and 110#s did not have enough oomph and the kicker never moved. That bike had a nice beat anyways.
The KTM's do like high revs, H is afraid of breaking it and hasn't aquired the grip-n-rip it method on her 390.I look in mirror after I launch and am way down the road.On her Beemers, I play catch up.

Back