Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Tennessee in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    While doable in one day, I'd plan a midweek ride prior to the rally so that you avoid the ridiculous traffic and ride some of the better roads around there as well. YMMV
    Doable? Google maps shows an estimated Time of Travel @ ~4 hrs (1 way) from Lebanon to Fontana Dam. Add a few minutes @ The Dragon Gift shop & visiting the Tree of Shame, and then over to the Cherohala skyway, you're looking (realistically) at a 10-12 hour day. As it's been suggested, add a day (or two) before the rally and use some of the better roads from Lebanon east and back.

Get back from your east TN adventures and enjoy the Rally!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Absolutely agree Jack. If you want to wrap Deal's Gap into this trip I would think the best plan would be to do it going or coming to the rally it is a "fair piece" over there from Lebanon, as some might say.... (If you are going to spend the night in that area Fontana Village Resort or Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge are great choices!). There will be a lot of great riding around the rally site. The area of Middle Tennessee (East of Nashville proper to about Cookeville and north to south from the AL to the KY line) offers a wide variety of great roads, scenic vistas and elevation changes. In June everything will be nice and green and trust me you can't go wrong exploring that area.

And don't forget the rally itself will offer tons of things to do...heck you might not want to leave there!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    Doable? Google maps shows an estimated Time of Travel @ ~4 hrs (1 way) from Lebanon to Fontana Dam. Add a few minutes @ The Dragon Gift shop & visiting the Tree of Shame, and then over to the Cherohala skyway, you're looking (realistically) at a 10-12 hour day. As it's been suggested, add a day (or two) before the rally and use some of the better roads from Lebanon east and back.

Get back from your east TN adventures and enjoy the Rally!
    I didn't say "fun-able" now did I??
    That's why I would plan on taking a few extra days to explore that area and not have to deal with the weekend warriors.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, 17 R1200RT

If you guys think you can do Lebanon to Fontana Dam in 4 hrs, then *I* have a NFL team to sell you. Cheap..................

Granted, I suppose one could drive nothing but interstate in order to save time. But doesn't that kinda defeat the entire purpose of bike riding?

Were it I, I would certainly make it a two day ride. From Lebanon to Monteagle (see the Univ of The South while there. Beautiful campus!) to Athens to Hwy 411 to Vonore/Hwy 72.

Spend the night coming back, maybe in Etowah, maybe in Athens. (Etowah has a train ride well worth the time too. www.tvrail.com, I think.)

I've ridden all over SE TN by now, so feel free to shoot me any questions I might be able to help on.
    Last edited by bobsguns; 12-24-2018 at 03:17 AM.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Glenlivet and I will be spending the Tuesday and Wednesday before the rally on the roads between Tellico Plains and Franklin, probably dipping down into northern Georgia as well before heading to Lebanon. If you spot our bright yellow sidecar be sure to say hello.

Award1.jpg
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

Dress for fall & avoid it AlanColes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    Glenlivet and I will be spending the Tuesday and Wednesday before the rally on the roads between Tellico Plains and Franklin, probably dipping down into northern Georgia as well before heading to Lebanon. If you spot our bright yellow sidecar be sure to say hello.
    I plan on riding from the BMW Performance Center (Greer, SC) on June 9th and doing some riding in that area on my way to Lebanon for the 12th. Let me know if you have towns identified for over-nighting during that period and we'll see if there's an overlap.
    Regards, Alan - President BMWONS - MOA Charter Club #097, BMWMOA/BMWRA/BMWONS/Airheads
    Current: '14 R1200RT / '06 Ducati ST3s / '91 R100GS / '86 R80RT / '75 R90S / '73 850 & '70 750 Commando Prev: '04 R1150RT / '81 Honda GL1100 / '77 Suzuki GS750 / '73 Norton 850 Commando