• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tennessee in 2019

Met some very nice Tennessee folk at their booth in exhibition building and later in the beer garden, they seemed to be very happy to have us coming to Tennessee next year, not just good economics for the fairground but we like you people and are looking forward to meeting more of you.

FWIW, I've been to more than a few MOA national rallies. All things considered, Hamburg, NY (2016) and Johnson City, TN (2009) were two of my favorites. Really looking forward to Lebanon, TN next year!

Hard to beat eastern Tennessee for the combination of excellent riding, friendly people, and great food. Moving the rally date to June is just icing on the cake, so to speak, and I applaud the site selection committee/BOD for that decision. :clap :thumb

As for the weather... Well, it will either be hot or cool or humid or dry. The only guarantee is that there will be weather. :gerg :ha

-MTS

Fargo

Or..... FARGO in 2020 and 2021!!!!

Fargo? Sure, why not? Let's make it a January rally while we're at it. We can all ride our BMW snowmobiles. :brow
:stick

Nothing against the good folks in Fargo, but I'm thinking I probably saw enough of that area during a quick fuel stop on my way to Alaska last year. :bolt

-MTS

Since folks in-the-know have posted to Facebook, but have failed to post the information to their very own Forum, let me be the first to announce that the 2019 BMW MOA Rally will be held in Lebanon, Tennessee, June 13-16, 2019.

This is interesting: It is the wrong Zone, and it is in June, not July. But it looks to be a great place to ride to and from. I assume it was an opportunity too good to pass up, as we did once before when I was President - in Trenton, Ontario, Canada - in the wrong zone. :)

Trenton was a fantastic spot for a rally. Too bad the locals were so unprepared but it was fun to be in the Kiltmeister's sandbox.

I started planning for Tn. as soon as I heard where it was.
I will use this as an opportunity to get Ky. on my ride list.
It's a long trip from here, but we are going on a cruise in February so my wife won't mind me taking a week in June.
See you all there!

I started planning for Tn. as soon as I heard where it was.
I will use this as an opportunity to get Ky. on my ride list.
It's a long trip from here, but we are going on a cruise in February so my wife won't mind me taking a week in June.
See you all there!
It is a great ride for you from CT. Once you get south of PA your trip gets better and better. Tons of great roads in WV and KY!

So realistically, is deals gap and back a one day trip. I want to ride it when it is not raining. It poured only time I was there. I know there are better roads, it is just a goal of mine. Maybe get with a small group of riders and go.

Rod

Last edited:
It’s approximate 200mi from Lebanon TN to Robinsville NC.
Most nobody will go that vicinity without ALSO rideing the Cherhalla Skyway.
So. Say near 400-425 minimum and about 450-475 for the full experience, depending on route/loop chosen.
Difficult to do on most any Saturday or Sunday because of "traffic".

Last edited:
So realistically, is deals gap and back a one day trip. I want to ride it when it is not raining. It poured only time I was there. I know there are better roads, it is just a goal of mine. Maybe get with a small group of riders and go.

Rod

Rod, it's doable in the middle of the week (especially early in the morning), but no way I'd expect joy on a weekend unless it's raining. Once a road gets a name, it's over. I've tried it four times, and each time got stuck in pirate parades. I'll probably try it again next year on the way to the rally, but would hit it on a Tuesday or Wednesday before 9am.

Hope to run into you again.

Pete

Rod, it's doable in the middle of the week (especially early in the morning), but no way I'd expect joy on a weekend unless it's raining. Once a road gets a name, it's over. I've tried it four times, and each time got stuck in pirate parades. I'll probably try it again next year on the way to the rally, but would hit it on a Tuesday or Wednesday before 9am.

Hope to run into you again.

Pete

It certainly would be doable there and back in a day but I totally agree to avoid the weekends and even Friday.

2019 hotel room booked

Well, booked my hotel room for the rally. I travel there often, so I love the area. Tail of the Dragon is not too far, only 183 miles away, as well as a bunch of amazing roads nearby. Looking forward to it! Can't wait. :dance:dance

It’s approximate 200mi from Lebanon TN to Robinsville NC.
Most nobody will go that vicinity without ALSO rideing the Cherhalla Skyway.
So. Say near 400-425 minimum and about 450-475 for the full experience, depending on route/loop chosen.
Difficult to do on most any Saturday or Sunday because of "traffic".
Well, the best way to do it would be go to Tellico Plains and take the Skyway across to Deals Gap... Still a long day. Depending on where you live, it could be a stop over for the trip home. If I go on the weekend, I go early. Before the squids and the cops get up. Right now is the perfect time... as soon as the leaves are gone.

Glad to see the location is outside Nashville. Just went through the city proper around three in the afternoon and it took us over two hours to go about 7 miles. They have a serious traffic and people movement issue that town. Watched a public broadcast show in the evening where they are in n the plannng stages of addressing the issues but will be no where completion for the next few years. So it's early to start planning routes but make sure when you do to stay away from city limits.

And now, they're getting Amazon in downtown Nashville! WOO-HOO Atlanta style traffic in Tennessee..
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...mazon-nashville-operations-center/1987289002/

Ugh

Rod

*I* wouldn't do Deals Gap on a one day ride. I would spend the night there, ride back the next day.

My .o2

Rod

While doable in one day, I'd plan a midweek ride prior to the rally so that you avoid the ridiculous traffic and ride some of the better roads around there as well. YMMV

While doable in one day, I'd plan a midweek ride prior to the rally so that you avoid the ridiculous traffic and ride some of the better roads around there as well. YMMV
Doable? Google maps shows an estimated Time of Travel @ ~4 hrs (1 way) from Lebanon to Fontana Dam. Add a few minutes @ The Dragon Gift shop & visiting the Tree of Shame, and then over to the Cherohala skyway, you're looking (realistically) at a 10-12 hour day. As it's been suggested, add a day (or two) before the rally and use some of the better roads from Lebanon east and back.

Get back from your east TN adventures and enjoy the Rally!

Absolutely agree Jack. If you want to wrap Deal's Gap into this trip I would think the best plan would be to do it going or coming to the rally it is a "fair piece" over there from Lebanon, as some might say.... (If you are going to spend the night in that area Fontana Village Resort or Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge are great choices!). There will be a lot of great riding around the rally site. The area of Middle Tennessee (East of Nashville proper to about Cookeville and north to south from the AL to the KY line) offers a wide variety of great roads, scenic vistas and elevation changes. In June everything will be nice and green and trust me you can't go wrong exploring that area.

And don't forget the rally itself will offer tons of things to do...heck you might not want to leave there!

Doable? Google maps shows an estimated Time of Travel @ ~4 hrs (1 way) from Lebanon to Fontana Dam. Add a few minutes @ The Dragon Gift shop & visiting the Tree of Shame, and then over to the Cherohala skyway, you're looking (realistically) at a 10-12 hour day. As it's been suggested, add a day (or two) before the rally and use some of the better roads from Lebanon east and back.

Get back from your east TN adventures and enjoy the Rally!

I didn't say "fun-able" now did I?? :stick :ha :ha
That's why I would plan on taking a few extra days to explore that area and not have to deal with the weekend warriors.:dance

If you guys think you can do Lebanon to Fontana Dam in 4 hrs, then *I* have a NFL team to sell you. Cheap..................

Granted, I suppose one could drive nothing but interstate in order to save time. But doesn't that kinda defeat the entire purpose of bike riding?

Were it I, I would certainly make it a two day ride. From Lebanon to Monteagle (see the Univ of The South while there. Beautiful campus!) to Athens to Hwy 411 to Vonore/Hwy 72.

Spend the night coming back, maybe in Etowah, maybe in Athens. (Etowah has a train ride well worth the time too. www.tvrail.com, I think.)

I've ridden all over SE TN by now, so feel free to shoot me any questions I might be able to help on.

Last edited:
Glenlivet and I will be spending the Tuesday and Wednesday before the rally on the roads between Tellico Plains and Franklin, probably dipping down into northern Georgia as well before heading to Lebanon. If you spot our bright yellow sidecar be sure to say hello.

Award1.jpg

Back