Thread: K75 mechanics active in S. Illinois region

K75 mechanics active in S. Illinois region

I'm working on my 88 K75C and have done some work on it, but might need assistance. Aren't there still in existence K mechanics from back in the day who have a vast storehouse of knowledge pertaining to the K75 who would enjoy helping a fellow brick owner?

I mean these gurus didn't ALL go extinct did they? I saw an obsolete list of K mechanics from around the country, but I doubt it is still relevant. My brother has an 88 K75C low seat and a 95 K75T as he calls it, and he found a guy around him who's an expert and will work at a reasonable rate on his bikes, and I was wondering if one might be around my region of S. Illinois/Western Ky?

Things I've done to my bike: change fuel/vacuum hoses; valve adjustment; sent fuel injectors in; synched fuel injectors; changed all filters (including in tank fuel filter); changed all bulbs; had odometer sent in for repair (the plastic gears had melted); changed instrument cluster's bulbs to led; changed all fluids; had new shinko tires installed; tested vacuum leakage with carb spray

Projects: I'm going to lube my rear spline; change out my clutch cable and that rubber boot; monitor Hall Effect Sensor; lube clutch spline; monitor poor fuel mileage issue.

However, there will be things I can't work on, and an insurance policy in the form of a willing K expert would sure help.

Thanks, sorry for the rambling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rall275; 04-14-2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: grammar

A couple sideline thoughts -

I'm not a mechanic, but we can do all the "to-do's" in a weekend if you want to ride it up to my garage

Are you a member of a local BMW club? Someone may be willing to give you a hand too.
    Last edited by drneo66; 04-16-2018 at 01:21 AM.
    1995 BMW K75s - 100k and climbing!
    2007 BMW R1200RT - 62k
    2009 BMW G650GS - 22k and ready for Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    A couple sideline thoughts -

I'm not a mechanic, but we can do all the "to-do's" in a weekend if you want to ride it up to my garage

Are you a member of a local BMW club? Someone may be willing to give you a had too.
    thanks for the offer. No, I'm not a member of a local group, I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere downstate. I just always wondered what became of all the guys who lived and breathed K bikes.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by rall275 View Post
    thanks for the offer. No, I'm not a member of a local group, I'm kind of in the middle of nowhere downstate. I just always wondered what became of all the guys who lived and breathed K bikes.

Regards.
    One of us retired and moved to Texas.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

3 Red Bricks
    I'm still here in the Bay Area.

What are the things that you can't work on? That's why we're here; to talk you through it.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I was born in Jacksonville does that help?
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend

Self-reliance

Looks like you're going to have to use your written manuals, online resources (including this site), and anyone you know who has a K75 and just dig into it yourself. Photo document things before and during disassembly so you can get it back together correctly. With proper tools, references, lighting, time, and patience, you will simply have to do the best you can under the circumstances. Competent K-bike mechanics are dying off daily and it is an unfortunate reality. In your case the conundrum is that the machine is outliving the men needed to keep these machines alive.