• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shrinkage? "98RT

bp@sr9

been noticing, the last couple of years, that two (of the three) panel screws (right side t'ware at gas tank) don't fit well and one not at all. the t'ware 'strip' down the backbone of the gas tank has 6 holes that (used to) align with corresponding bosses. now, with the two center tabs aligned with the center bosses, the two fore and aft tabs no longer line up. both are now slightly towards the the center, the forward one won't allow a screw. what's up? something moved, can't figure. :scratch

My experience is the tank changes shape and more so if the T-ware is left off for extended periods...which sometimes seems as soon as two days:banghead
Had one fellow leave the bike outside with covers off for months and we never got them to fit correctly...ever. Sunlight and ozone proof they are not it seems. I try to reinstall asap and not leave a tank out in sunlight as much as possible.

Some folks dremel tool the holes larger,which may work until they do not. I also start as many screws and leave loose until all have been engaged if possible.

Shrinkage '98RT

been noticing, the last couple of years, that two (of the three) panel screws (right side t'ware at gas tank) don't fit well and one not at all. the t'ware 'strip' down the backbone of the gas tank has 6 holes that (used to) align with corresponding bosses. now, with the two center tabs aligned with the center bosses, the two fore and aft tabs no longer line up. both are now slightly towards the the center, the forward one won't allow a screw. what's up? something moved, can't figure. :scratch

I experienced the same thing after having removed the gas tank to replace external fuel lines. Started to replace the fairing and found the holes no longer matched the bosses. Found a post that advised leaving loose the bolt that secures the tank to the frame and then delicately moving the tank around to try and match the bosses to the holes in the center tupperware. I've used various tools to keep the holes and bosses lined up - center punches and allen wrenches seem to work. It's a delicate balancing act. Once you get things lined up, start the 6 screws and then carefully tighten the bolt and nut holding the tank to the appropriate spec (16 ft/lb; 22nm). Remove the screws and fit the tupperware.

I experienced the same thing after having removed the gas tank to replace external fuel lines. Started to replace the fairing and found the holes no longer matched the bosses. Found a post that advised leaving loose the bolt that secures the tank to the frame and then delicately moving the tank around to try and match the bosses to the holes in the center tupperware. I've used various tools to keep the holes and bosses lined up - center punches and allen wrenches seem to work. It's a delicate balancing act. Once you get things lined up, start the 6 screws and then carefully tighten the bolt and nut holding the tank to the appropriate spec (16 ft/lb; 22nm). Remove the screws and fit the tupperware.

I leave the rear mount bolt loose, only if I had to take the take off.

I leave the rear mount bolt loose, only if I had to take the take off.

I put y 97 rt 1100 Tupperware on last nite after a successful hes sensor replacement,,I noticed first time the gas tank was not seated all the way in the grooves,,make sure tank is straight and pushed up all the way.

Back