• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

wheel valve stems

brianfisk

I plan on replacing the rubber valve stems on the wheel with metal ones. Anybody know off hand what size on a 1998 R110RT?

The online sites list 15mm as the valve stem diameter. Is that the size you're looking for?

Been there. Tried that. And failed...

The hole is non standard. I tired 90 degree billet aluminum valve stems from Kurvey Girl and another supplier whose name I've forgotten and neither of them fit properly into the recess on the rim so I could not get a good seal.

If you find some that work let us know. It sure would be easier to top up the rear tire with a 90 degree stem like the newer models come with. The only guy I know who succeeded in doing this on 1100 rims had a machine shop...

Been there. Tried that. And failed...

The hole is non standard. I tired 90 degree billet aluminum valve stems from Kurvey Girl and another supplier whose name I've forgotten and neither of them fit properly into the recess on the rim so I could not get a good seal.

If you find some that work let us know. It sure would be easier to top up the rear tire with a 90 degree stem like the newer models come with. The only guy I know who succeeded in doing this on 1100 rims had a machine shop...

In the US there are two standard stem sizes. I forget the exact nomenclature but it is in inch measurements of .453" and .625".

BMW specifies 15mm which is the stem OD where it would fit the hole and the US designations are the hole sizes. I have directly measured a nominal .453 stem and it is exactly the same OD as BMW calls 15mm.

I have steel stems purchased from Auto Zone and from O'Reilly and they fit some BMW wheels. The hole size is no issue. But some wheel castings have little ribs by the hole that might interfere. I have never had to do it but some folks dremel the little rib back about 1/16" and everything fits fine.

I have used the pictured NAPA stem on 2000-2004 BMWs (may work on others) for years. The nut fits down in the recess of the wheel, lube the rubber seat and snug the stem with pliers on the end piece. Works great. Do not use the washer or the large rubber bushing.

Attachments

• IMG_1562.jpg
    IMG_1562.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 233
Well it looks like I'll go with the .433 size. I wanted to be sure. I wanted to change out the straight stems to 45 or 90 degree one to be able to air up easier. Also I did not like the rubber ones made in China. They seemed weak and ready to break all the time ( even though I bought them at NAPA ). Having 4 sets of wheels I also think that the rubber seals from the metal stems should be replaced once in a while (ozone deteriorating the rubber).

The 45 degree stems on one set wheels help. Not planning on the Curvy Girl type. The ones that I am looking at are off the rim a bit.

Thank you all, Brian

Brian, what brand valve did you end up using? I bought a Wunderlich 90ā° valve and found the valve body too wide. It is 0.090" too wide for the outer bore of the hole and it was hitting the casting ridge in the center of the wheel. Nice aluminum valves but won't fit
2004 BMW R1150RS
Bob Hearn
PS How are you?
šŸ˜€

stems

I do not remember what brand I used. I had to file a little bit of the rims ridge to make them fit well. Not a problem jus a little bit to let the metal seat well. No leakage any more.

Back