• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RANT: Why I am done working on BMW's with CRAFTSMAN TOOLS!!

I notice widespread bias against Asian tools and a number of other Asian products. Do I have an opinion? Well yes!

After WWII, when Japan began to rebuild, Made in Japan was a near guarantee of junk. Jump 4 decades. Honda Motor Company was building, and still builds the finest small engines on the planet. These engines are now produced in various Asian countries but remain the best.

I had a long run as a precision metal fabricator. For press breaks, shears, turret punches, milling machines, lathes, lasers and more, Japanese machine tools were and remain the world standard with Fanuc (Japanese) the world leader in machine controls. This is the primary reason for the high quality of Japanese engines, motorcycles, automobiles and more.

China pisses me off plenty. Glycol in toothpaste because it's cheaper than sugar (forget poisonous). I could go on but the fact is that many Chinese products are now achieving quite high quality standards. It is a progression and like Japan, they are getting better at a lot of products.

Why are there so many **** Chinese products out there? Let's try a combination of consumers unwilling to pay for quality and corporations in a race to the bottom to satisfy American cheapskates. Let's not forget ineptitude and greed, read: Eddie Lampert, a hedge fund guy running Sears right straight into the ground.

If you care about your hand tools, stay far away from Harbor, Northern, Craftsman, Mintcraft and in general, the low price rung regardless of brand. You usually get what you pay for, period. Snap-on is a premium professional brand but for the non-professional mechanic there are plenty of good quality, medium priced tools available. Made in an English speaking Caucasian Country is not the Gold Standard.

Help, I have a bullet in my foot and as soon as I put the gun down I'll do something about it..says the guy with the Harbor Freight wrench.

I bought Craftsman tools years ago, and always had good luck with them. I needed a socket set once though and the base gas station had some other brand on the shelves. It came with a lifetime warranty and the price was good. I bought them. Still have them.

For the few tools I need now, I just stop by Harbor Freight. I'm sure the tools are made in China. I'm also sure that the more expensive tools found in places like Lowe's or Home Depot are also made in China.

Thanks on the Gauge Recommendations

Thanks Paul S, Joe, Larry and Paul - Have an excellent gauge for the my car - really a "Swiss watch" for build quality and precision - but one of the BMW bikes requires either an angled or 90 degree head to mount the valve stem and the car gauge is a straight-on affair, thus the query. I'll have a look at the three you guys recommend/use.

Milton pencil type tire gauges ! đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť
USA Made
Durable and Accurate
Inexpensive enough to buy one for all your bikes and cars. (Amazon)
Make good gifts

Charlie

"With over 70 years of manufacturing experience Wiha has become a world leader in the production of fine quality professional hand tools. With Facilities located in Germany, United States, Great Britain, France, Spain, Switzerland, Poland, Netherlands, China, Vietnam and Singapore as well as stocking sales agents offering Wiha Products in over 65 countries around the world, Wiha is firmly established as a world leader in the production and design of professional quality tools. Our commitment is to highest quality products, customer satisfaction and constant continuous improvement in our designs and production efficiency."

Wiha tools do appear to be of very good quality, regardless of origin. It is a matter of individual company's commitment to quality and a customer base that recognizes it.

Last edited:
Back