• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New version of Basecamp coming next month

patm

I just received this, this afternoon:

Updates Are Coming to HomePort and BaseCamp

Next month, Garmin is releasing new versions of HomePort™ and BaseCamp™ that provide improved data security. At that time, Garmin will retire the Cloud Storage option. Be sure to export your user data from Garmin Cloud Storage before May 21, 2018. In addition, BaseCamp™ allows you to configure your favorite cloud storage provider as a replacement so you can keep your favorite waypoints in the same place you store your other important files. Please note, data will no longer be available from Garmin Cloud Storage after May 21, 2018. Detailed instructions for exporting your user data can be found in our FAQ.

If you used BaseCamp with Garmin Adventures™, thank you for your participation in our online community for the past 5 years. It’s with sorrow we announce the end of Garmin Adventures. Any adventures you have created in BaseCamp will remain on your local computer but will be removed from the online community after May 21, 2018. You will still be able to create Garmin Adventures on your computer and load them to your Garmin device. See our BaseCamp Support Center content if you need assistance.

For HomePort users, Garmin offers an alternative to manage your waypoints, routes and other user data, without the need for the computer. The new ActiveCaptain® app, available for both Apple® and Android™ mobile devices, lets you create and sync waypoints and routes between your mobile device and your compatible chartplotter and much more. Learn more about ActiveCaptain today.

That announcement doesn't sound like they are updating BaseCamp at all but simply removing some online storage capabilities. I sure hope they aren't planning to do all their product development time working on phone apps. I have no interest in planning a trip using the itty bitty display on my phone.

It is here....

I do not know when they rolled it out but it is out now as I had to "upgrade" just now to open BaseCamp.

Also old version of Express is "not supported after May 25"

No issues using either so far....

GD

The new Basecamp version 4.70 also removes support for Google Earth. Probably because Google has recently announced huge price increases (~1400%) for apps that use the Google Maps API.

So far, I've been able to avoid the "upgrade" by hitting the "Remind me later" button on start-up.

The new Basecamp version 4.70 also removes support for Google Earth. Probably because Google has recently announced huge price increases (~1400%) for apps that use the Google Maps API.

So far, I've been able to avoid the "upgrade" by hitting the "Remind me later" button on start-up.

This is awesome! I always look for ways to avoid Goongle, even peripherally. I updated immediately after reading your post. Thanks!

Maybe I was expecting too much but the new version is just the same old version with reduced services.
I was expecting at least a replacement of cloud based storage and a third party sharing platform.
I was also expecting integration with trip advisor and maybe some google functions as this is now available on the new zumo 396.

Oh well, at least it seems to work without issues.

Too bad on the end of google earth with Basecamp. Google had much better resolution than the pay to play service offered by Garmin.

I hope Garmin doesn't pull the plug on Basecamp.

Too bad on the end of google earth with Basecamp. Google had much better resolution than the pay to play service offered by Garmin.

I hope Garmin doesn't pull the plug on Basecamp.

I hear Google charges a lot to use its api. That may be the reason why Garmin is shying away from Google.
I also read that there is no development team for Basecamp.

Regarding issues, there are some reports of problems loading img format maps, including third party maps and Garmin legacy maps with mapinstall included with 4.7.0

Well I miss google earth as I always check my route to make sure I stay off the gravel roads. I remember a couple years ago I had to type in some kind of link to make it work that I got of the garmin forum.

If you haven't upgraded to 4.7.0, you can stay with 4.6.2. It is still functional, the link to google earth still works.

I wish I had know that before I upgraded.

+1 but I wonder for how long. I find it interesting how the marketing guys think they can trick us into thinking a downgrade of a product is really an upgrade. Sure seems like basecamp is being abandoned by Garmin. I'm really curious what they plan to do in the future.

If you haven't upgraded to 4.7.0, you can stay with 4.6.2. It is still functional, the link to google earth still works.

I uninstalled the 4.7.0 and went back to 4.6.2. I'm not getting Google Earth to work. It's the "Google Earth Pro" version.

2018-05-30 09_56_15-.jpg

You can see the Google Earth program running in the Taskbar.

Any suggestions on how to get the two programs to work?

Hmmmmm........

I have 4.6.2 on a second PC and just checked it and Google Earth Pro is working just fine.:thumb

:scratch:scratch:scratch

GD

That has been a common problem, sometimes the Google Earth install does not properly identify the program location to receive data from Basecamp (and other programs). The location varies a bit between Windows versions (7, 8, 10, 32/64 bit, etc).

Sometimes it can be fixed by removing Earth, and then downloading/installing a fresh copy (https://www.google.com/earth/).

If you are familiar with the command line, there are commands that can fix the problem by pointing to the correct program location, more details at https://forums.garmin.com/forum/mac-windows-software/windows-software/basecamp-aa/112456-basecamp-and-google-earth?p=850083#post850083

I think the Mac version has a similar problem, but I'm not familiar with the solution for that platform.

I installed the 32-Bit version (7.1.8.3036) of Google Earth on my Windows 8/64-Bit system to get this to work. With the 64-Bit version the 'View in Google Earth' did not connect to Google Earth.

Btw. I still use Mapsource (6.16.3 latest version still downloadable) which has a clean Microsoft API interface. I tried Basecamp but it completely confuses me. It looks to me as if Basecamp was ported from a Linux system to Windows.

/Guenther

Last edited:
Back