Thread: Humboldt Broncos, 15 dead, 3 still critical, my hockey stick is on my front steps.

Humboldt Broncos, 15 dead, 3 still critical, my hockey stick is on my front steps.

I am a little disappointed that I am posting this on a Tuesday, 3 full days since the accident and that I am the first.

Let me tell you, I am heartbroken. I spent many a day as a Junior riding the big pumpkin on my way to an impossible NHL dream.

Something that my fellow riders and friends found here should know, I am a hockey player and only a hockey player. Riding is just a distraction but when I do ride, I'm trying to get that first breath on new ice.

A new Canadian thing has started.............Leave your hockey stick on your front steps/porch because one of the boys that survived might need one.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

My neighbour has two Canadian flags, a pair of skates and hockey stick against his rural mailbox. This was such a tragedy that should never have happened.

Thoughts are with the survivors and all the people who have lost loved ones.
    Terry Cainey
    Ambassador (Emeritus) Fenwick, Ontario Canada
    Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    I am a little disappointed that I am posting this on a Tuesday, 3 full days since the accident and that I am the first.

Let me tell you, I am heartbroken. I spent many a day as a Junior riding the big pumpkin on my way to an impossible NHL dream.

Something that my fellow riders and friends found here should know, I am a hockey player and only a hockey player. Riding is just a distraction but when I do ride, I'm trying to get that first breath on new ice.

A new Canadian thing has started.............Leave your hockey stick on your front steps/porch because one of the boys that survived might need one.
    As a side note, this may not have made the news in the United States news world.
    Terry Cainey
    Ambassador (Emeritus) Fenwick, Ontario Canada
    Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Cainey View Post
    As a side note, this may not have made the news in the United States news world.
    Got plenty of coverage down here and have been praying for all those affected since we first heard the morning after.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Cainey View Post
    Trump send condolences to Joe Trudeau.

It is very hard to explain the way the hockey life is.

I had two games this last three days. At $350.00/hr for ice time, we should skate. Instead, couple beering, nobody wanted to skate.

Those boys, hair dyed the same for a playoff tradition, I really doubt my riding brethren south of me get Canada.

Love your neighbor, get him riding!!!
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

We don't have a stick to leave out so my better half is picking one up. We'll leave it out at our rural mailbox. I think the boys will miss it if we leave it at the door.
    Dave...
    ----------------
    15 R1200 RT, 12 G650GS
    83 XN85 D Turbo

Now 16 dead. The teams athletic therapist passed away today from her injuries.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    I really doubt my riding brethren south of me get Canada.
    A lot more of us than you think. Many of us love hockey and can't thank Canada enough for having given the world such a wonderful game.

Condolences from all the hockey fans in the US, and there are plenty of us. I went to school at Clarkson, which as you probably know has a Division I hockey team. Loved to watch Division I hockey games.

The Clarkson women's hockey team won it all this year. They didn't have a woman's team back when I attended the school. I don't think they had enough women in total to field a hockey team...

Very sad about such a tragedy, especially with victims so young and healthy...

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Me too. University of North Dakota graduate. A couple of NCAA championships while I lived in Grand Forks, and a few more since I believe. I played hockey in high school but was really not very good at it, but it was fun.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I think this tragedy is relateable to so many beyond hockey. So many youth travelling on buses for all sorts of sports and activities in all parts of the continent and the world. It's easy to picture oneself or a loved one in this situation.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

I don't have 16 hockey stick but there are more than few houses that do.

Very good comment about other sports teams riding buses. I never played competitive volleyball but my buddy did. We reminisced about bus time.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    From USA Today-

“Being from Canada and being a hockey player myself, I knew we didn’t have anything on the car as far as sponsorship this week,” Kennington said Saturday. “I told Marty I’d like to do something for the boys and girls and everybody from Humboldt, the first responders, the families – everyone involved.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...cal/517499002/

om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Very sad.

Terribly sad. I grew up in Winnipeg. There were maybe as many as 10, maybe more, junior hockey teams in Manitoba then. Every one of those boys had stars in his eyes for the NHL. Now I live in a small BC town. We have a competitive junior hockey team here. I try to think what it would be like, for a small town to lose its young people and other team members, like those in Humboldt.

Humboldt Strong. My sticks are by the front door too.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    From USA Today

Humboldt Broncos' hockey GoFundMe page raises more than $15 million for victims' families

While money can't fix the hurt it is still a nice gesture of compassion.