• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best source(s) for maintenance parts & supplies?

CorvidRider

Hi, I've just rejoined MOA after a hiatus and am looking for sage advice on preferred internet sources for maintenance and repair items. Seems like Bob's is exhaustively well stocked but really pricey. Anyone had good luck with any particular supply house online? Thanks!

For oil and filters i usually use Amazon to buy the brand I prefer. As far as BMW dealer fiche items, I use A&S cycles in California. Great service, free shipping.

Welcome to the forum! Max BMW seems to come up a lot and are good people. I've heard that Beemerboneyard has routine service parts (filters, etc.). Places for other specialized items and service are on either coast - Tom Cutter, Ted Porter, Anton Largiader to name but a few. It sort of depends on what you need and how much you will be involved.

I like Beemerboneyard for maintenance parts and some of the common normal wear parts. They have oilhead sight glasses, brakes, brake parts, etc at reasonable prices.

+1 for Kurt's recommendations, as well as all of the others above. I've used them and they are reliable sources.

I would also add Boxer2valve and Sierra BMW.

Also, keep in mind that the lowest price for something may not always be the best source.

I am a great believer in paying a little more if I also get sound, quality advice and support. It is far more enjoyable and often actually less expensive than going with the lowest price option.

In alphabetical order (to not play favourites):

• Anton Largiader
  • Bob's BMW
  • Boxer2valve
  • Max BMW
  • Ted Porter
  • Tom Cutter
All have a depth of knowledge that is irreplaceable and invaluable. If we don't support these folks they and their knowledge will disappear and we will all be the poorer for having lost their pricelss and sage advice.

In May I was at Max BMW picking up parts to rebuild the carbs for my R100GS and asked Rusty to make sure he was providing me with parts for the 40mm carbs. Rusty noted that it must be a European bike, and I told him it was, in that it was a Canadian 1991 GS which used the Euro carbs vs the smaller US-market carbs. Rusty immediately told me to remember to mention that if I was ever ordering throttle cables as the Euro ones are longer and the US-market ones won't fit. That is just the tip of the iceburg as far as the ways these vendors can be, and are, of significant help to all of us.

For genuine BMW parts, I use Hermy's: www.bmwestore.com

I believe they have a 15% discount with free shipping until the end of the month.
Enter "deal" when you check out.

Joe

I'll chime in with Euromotoelectric in Colorado and Motobins in the UK. Many are nervous about buying parts from England but Motobins has been supplying European and global riders with quality OEM and good after market parts for a very long time and their delivery system works very well and quickly. Both these outfits are great suppliers.

In case anyone is interested. As I am in need of some parts I did some checking on all the dealerships that were listed here. Every one of them has the exact same price on every item. To the penny. I mean, you don't even get a one percent discount on a sheet metal screw from any of them. The only difference I can see is that some of them, ie: A&S, and Hermy's have very difficult methods of finding the part you need. So, they're all the same parts, all the same price. It doesn't matter where you buy them.

Once again, BMW tells me what I am going to pay, and I get out the credit card. And I like that, because I can tell people, "Hey, I ride a PREMIUM brand bike! Get lost you cheapskates on Japanese machines!"

In case anyone is interested. As I am in need of some parts I did some checking on all the dealerships that were listed here. Every one of them has the exact same price on every item. To the penny. I mean, you don't even get a one percent discount on a sheet metal screw from any of them. The only difference I can see is that some of them, ie: A&S, and Hermy's have very difficult methods of finding the part you need. So, they're all the same parts, all the same price. It doesn't matter where you buy them.

Once again, BMW tells me what I am going to pay, and I get out the credit card. And I like that, because I can tell people, "Hey, I ride a PREMIUM brand bike! Get lost you cheapskates on Japanese machines!"

So like lots of things, BMW parts have an MSRP and most dealers adhere to it. Just like all of the Auto Zone stores. This is surprising why?

Last edited:
So like lots of things, BMW parts have an MSRP and most dealers adhere to it. Just like all of the Auto Zone stores. This is surprising why?

I don't think I said it was surprising. My point was it is irritating. BMW parts prices seem to be geared for the well-to-do. I don't include myself in that group. If I need a brake master cylinder for a car, and I feel Autozone charges too much, I have a lot of options to go elsewhere, and now I often do. On the other hand, I currently need a master cylinder for a K75. BMW says pay $186.72. I pay it or throw the bike away. That's almost $200 for a very small part. Oh, and $60 to replace the two little painted aluminum medallions on the tank.

Someone tell me these are "reasonable" prices for parts. And I don't want to hear how Porsche or Rolls Royce charges $3,000 for a master cylinder so I should be happy. As everyone likes to remind us, "But BMWs are premium machines!" Well, I personally don't have much use for "premium" anything that is meant to impress others. I don't see BMWs as being any better than any of the other brand bikes being made today, and prices like these are just a slap in the face. If I was shopping for a new bike, BMW would be the second off the list, right after Ducati. And judging by BMWs dismal sales figures in this country, I'm not alone.

Parts for Japanese bikes are not cheap either. I have an FJR and until recently a Super Tenere as well. Parts for those bikes can be pretty pricey. I know three people who had parking lot tip overs and it cost over $2500 in parts to fix each. Motorcycling is an expensive hobby. If my memory is accurate, your K75 is at least 23 years old, but thankfully you have several options for parts. Japanese manufacturers are far less likely to support bikes that are 20 years old, parts are often very hard to find and even salvaged or rebuilt parts are expensive. Count your blessings as you count-out your cash.

Have you tried looking for a salvaged part at Beemer Boneyard?

I don't think I said it was surprising. My point was it is irritating. BMW parts prices seem to be geared for the well-to-do. I don't include myself in that group.

Lots of people get in over their heads buying things they can't afford. There is no "entitlement" to cheap motorcycling.

Then again, there is Economics 101 ...

Premium vehicles are sold in smaller numbers, so there is less economy of scale for everything, including parts, meaning they will by basic economics be more expensive. These aren't Hondas.

BMW parts come from Germany, which is a 1st world country compared to the 3rd world country that is the USA. 12 years ago when I was last there, a Big Mac was $8. A majority of Americans couldn't afford to live there on what they make here.

Shipping from Germany isn't cheap either. Neither is the cost of maintaining a parts system.

Just about any product that is an "ego purchase" as opposed to a basic necessity is going to be expensive. Again, no entitlement.

Any dealer that sells at MSRP is doing you a favor ... there is nothing preventing them from pricing higher.

New parts are new parts ... doesn't matter whether they're to be fitted to an old machine. Their value doesn't depreciate.

Welcome to the world you live in.

PS: the answer to the original question is ...

... you ought to buy at least some of your parts from your local BMW dealer. You need them and need to be friends with them. The fact you own a BMW does not entitle you to anything ... the business you do with them does.

Japenese cheaper?

Replacement heated grips for a R1200GS go for $123 & $170
The same for a GL1800 Honda are well over $200 per side

I have found Japanese bike parts are expensive and are quick to become NLA
We are fortunate with BMW, they support older models and even advertise the fact.

And while we are on the subject, compare the resale values. :deal

I don't think I said it was surprising. My point was it is irritating. BMW parts prices seem to be geared for the well-to-do. I don't include myself in that group. If I need a brake master cylinder for a car, and I feel Autozone charges too much, I have a lot of options to go elsewhere, and now I often do. On the other hand, I currently need a master cylinder for a K75. BMW says pay $186.72. I pay it or throw the bike away. That's almost $200 for a very small part. Oh, and $60 to replace the two little painted aluminum medallions on the tank.

Someone tell me these are "reasonable" prices for parts. And I don't want to hear how Porsche or Rolls Royce charges $3,000 for a master cylinder so I should be happy. As everyone likes to remind us, "But BMWs are premium machines!" Well, I personally don't have much use for "premium" anything that is meant to impress others. I don't see BMWs as being any better than any of the other brand bikes being made today, and prices like these are just a slap in the face. If I was shopping for a new bike, BMW would be the second off the list, right after Ducati. And judging by BMWs dismal sales figures in this country, I'm not alone.

K75 (K569)
Production: 07/90-09/95 USA

Assuming yours is a '95 and not older, that's 23 years old.

IMO That is pretty good service to still inventory the Master Cylinder. Try that with Honda or YamaSaki
It costs money to inventory old (and obsolete) parts.

Oh, before I forget, since when does the part size have anything to do with the price?

It's good to see everyone jumping to BMWs defense. Let's see; Japanese parts are even more expensive; I should be grateful that BMW doesn't charge me even more for the parts; I'm working on an old bike so I'm getting just what I deserve. And my all time favorite, that I am just one of those poor slobs who doesn't know enough to handle the economics of owning a motorcycle. Well, it's good to know where you stand with your fellow MOA members.

As usual, I made the big mistake of trying to answer the original poster's question of where he should buy parts. And that answer was: anywhere! He's not going to get a "good deal" on anything. Ah, will I never learn to not offer help to a fellow member? Of course Paul Glaves as usual jumps on my case over that. I respond and then several people decide I need to be taken to the woodshed for criticizing their beloved brand. So none of you have any issue with the prices BMW charges for parts? You're all happy as clams for your service charges at a BMW dealership? I guess I've read countless posts on this forum complaining about those issue the wrong way. But, you may be right about one thing: I should start looking at getting a different brand bike. What a relief to so many of you. "He's not a true believer!"

At this point I happen to own two BMWs. And I'll have to buy parts for them, at least while I own them, which may well end. But I'm beginning to seriously question the value to me of the MOA membership. They are okay machines, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid while I own them. Someone else is more than welcome to my share.

parts

It's good to see everyone jumping to BMWs defense. Let's see; Japanese parts are even more expensive; I should be grateful that BMW doesn't charge me even more for the parts; I'm working on an old bike so I'm getting just what I deserve. And my all time favorite, that I am just one of those poor slobs who doesn't know enough to handle the economics of owning a motorcycle. Well, it's good to know where you stand with your fellow MOA members.

As usual, I made the big mistake of trying to answer the original poster's question of where he should buy parts. And that answer was: anywhere! He's not going to get a "good deal" on anything. Ah, will I never learn to not offer help to a fellow member? Of course Paul Glaves as usual jumps on my case over that. I respond and then several people decide I need to be taken to the woodshed for criticizing their beloved brand. So none of you have any issue with the prices BMW charges for parts? You're all happy as clams for your service charges at a BMW dealership? I guess I've read countless posts on this forum complaining about those issue the wrong way. But, you may be right about one thing: I should start looking at getting a different brand bike. What a relief to so many of you. "He's not a true believer!"

At this point I happen to own two BMWs. And I'll have to buy parts for them, at least while I own them, which may well end. But I'm beginning to seriously question the value to me of the MOA membership. They are okay machines, but I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid while I own them. Someone else is more than welcome to my share.

Geez, I seem to always be in a good mood anticipating, engaging or after every ride on my two motorcycles. Motorcycles can make you a nicer person....if you let them.

Back