• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How Many Lights?

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Last summer on my travels I saw at least three bikes at different times, each with two additional sets of driving lights. It was during the daytime that I came across these bikes. The motorcycles that I saw with five lights were during the daytime and were certainly noticeable but not objectionable in their brightness. Am I correct in assuming that most jurisdictions permit a motorcycle to have one headlight and only two additional driving lights?

Last summer on my travels I saw at least three bikes at different times, each with two additional sets of driving lights. It was during the daytime that I came across these bikes. The motorcycles that I saw with five lights were during the daytime and were certainly noticeable but not objectionable in their brightness. Am I correct in assuming that most jurisdictions permit a motorcycle to have one headlight and only two additional driving lights?

I seem to recall that you are only allowed two auxiliary lights but this is likely not enforced very often.

https://law.justia.com/codes/california/2010/veh/24400-24411.html

That covers it in California, and includes the following:

24405. (a) Not more than four lamps of the following types showing
to the front of a vehicle may be lighted at any one time:
(1) Headlamps.
(2) Auxiliary driving or passing lamps.
(3) Fog lamps.
(4) Warning lamps.
(5) Spot lamps.
(6) Gaseous discharge lamps specified in Section 25258.
(b) For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp
system shall be considered as one lamp.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any authorized emergency
vehicle.

Harry

Seems like Henzilla was stopped once for too many lights on his GSA???

Does that not make the new Honda Gold Wing (and some Acuras) illegal from the factory?

I think that the headlight is only considered one due to this clause "For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp
system shall be considered as one lamp." So in theory, I could have my RT's dual headlamp (1 light), a pair of driving lights (2 lights), and a single spot light on (1 light) and be under the limit. :)

Proper aiming and proper use will keep you out of trouble.

I've been running two pair of aux lites on bikes for years. One set on each bike has amber lenses affixed. I run with both sets illuminated most of the time in daylight and when my high beam is on during the rare time that I ride at night. So far no issues with LEOs in many states; even when I was stopped once so a LEO could express his admiration for the performance of my bike. Could be I have just been lucky. I shall continue to press my luck

Including the sidecar, I have five lights on my rig. Headlight, Clearwater Kristas in lieu of the GSA foglights, and Clearwater Glendas on the hack. I was stopped once in PA by a trooper who wanted a closer look at the rig.

I think that the headlight is only considered one due to this clause "For the purpose of this section each pair of a dual headlamp

Saw that, but with "each pair of a dual headlamp" that would seem to exclude a group with five emitters. But then, what has been quoted is California law, so then, well, uh, you know. I don't know if the Rest of the Country has the same requirements. Often they do not. There are many things, for instance, that only cause cancer in California.

I would love to see, but rarely do see, enforcement of illegally bright or numerous lights. You do not improve your safety when you make the vehicle so bright that oncoming drivers must look away from you. That is true of brake lights as well. Someone shielding their eyes with their hand is not in a very good position to avoid you.

Seems like Henzilla was stopped once for too many lights on his GSA???

Yep, he was, and so was I. Here's why:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE 547

TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC

SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD

CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

------------------------------------------------------------------
Sec. 547.302. DUTY TO DISPLAY LIGHTS. (a) A vehicle shall display each lighted lamp and illuminating device required by this chapter to be on the vehicle:
(1) at nighttime; and
(2) when light is insufficient or atmospheric conditions are unfavorable so that a person or vehicle on the highway is not clearly discernible at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead.
(b) A signaling device, including a stoplamp or a turn signal lamp, shall be lighted as prescribed by this chapter.
(c) At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle.
(d) Not more than four of the following may be lighted at one time on the front of a motor vehicle:
(1) a headlamp required by this chapter; or
(2) a lamp, including an auxiliary lamp or spotlamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower.

And this:

Sec. 547.330. AUXILIARY DRIVING LAMPS PERMITTED. (a) A motor vehicle may be equipped with no more than two auxiliary driving lamps.
(b) An auxiliary driving lamp shall be mounted on the front of the vehicle at a height from 16 to 42 inches.
(c) Auxiliary driving lamps may be used with headlamps as specified by Section 547.333.

No ticket issued - he just informed me of the law.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX

Back