• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

MOA membership stabilization, young riders

YMMV. I detest not knowing who the anonymous posters are on this forum. Yes, detest is the correct term. If I were making the rules a person's true identity would be required in one of 3 places: the "handle", the Sig Line, or the profile. And anybody unable or unwilling to do this could just go pound sand on Twitter. But since I was only in charge from 1998 until 2000, my opinion doesn't matter. But that is what it is. The only exceptions would be LEOs who fear for their lives, Federal Prosecutors (who fear for their lives), and folks in the Witness Protection Program. :banghead:)
I think the forum would be a lonely place. Kinda a show your “papers” deal?

I agree that concealing one’s identity on the forum is irritating.

When a person (or is it a bot?) posts using only a number for identification and provides no location or other personal information it is difficult to take that person seriously.
To easy you concerns, I have never seen a “bot” engage Members in a thread. There are “bots” and “spiders” throughout the internet (forums). That’s how a google search leads a person to a search result.
As for not taking a Member seriously for not providing enough ID, I guess we can let them decide.
OM

YMMV. I detest not knowing who the anonymous posters are on this forum. Yes, detest is the correct term. If I were making the rules a person's true identity would be required in one of 3 places: the "handle", the Sig Line, or the profile. And anybody unable or unwilling to do this could just go pound sand on Twitter. But since I was only in charge from 1998 until 2000, my opinion doesn't matter. But that is what it is. The only exceptions would be LEOs who fear for their lives, Federal Prosecutors (who fear for their lives), and folks in the Witness Protection Program. :banghead:)[/QUOTES

SO VERY RIGHT.........Have had my name and where I live up there in plain view for years now.........NO phone calls, I don't know about the email junk cause it goes to my junk file first and I just scan that and off it goes, and on and on......

Why not HAVE to fill in the profile stuff also????......Totally lousy when you go to look at the stuff about who and what a person is and there is nothing there but blanks. Folks are to busy to fill in a bit to say hello???............Truly, in all these years have NEVER gotten a phone call or let alone anyone show up at my electric gate to tell me who and what they think of the way I talk.

By the way, I thought this thread was for candidates. Where is that stuff????...........Anyway, truly do wish the anonymous would stay at the AA meetings but here, to give a name........THANKS.....Dennis

I agree that concealing one’s identity on the forum is irritating.

When a person (or is it a bot?) posts using only a number for identification and provides no location or other personal information it is difficult to take that person seriously.

I agree.

But it's the nature of personal 'media' these days to conceal one's identity and easily pretend to be someone or something you're not. Yet they label this form of communication "social." Ironic.

I appreciate the avatars and cute or clever 'handles' members assign themselves in a post. After all, it's a club - not an IRS form.

But at the end of the day (or in this case, the end of any post), remaining anonymous lacks credibility, civility and honesty.

Like Paul, I don't like it, but given the incredulous advice and amateurish opinions often passed off as 'facts' on this Forum from time to time, I can understand those who prefer to lurk in the shadows. :hide

Perhaps new members, young or older, will consider to be more forthcoming. It would be a breath of fresh air this club sorely needs.

Last edited:

That is so weird because when the MOA was much younger, using member numbers as an identity suggested the person was a selfless volunteer working in the interest of the whole community.

Being someone in the business of media and marketing, and having done so since the earliest of the electronic days, the use of a real name and/or the desire for anonymity has been somewhat of a pendulum. Even today, people who use their real names on Facebook often use a pseudonym on Instagram and WhatsApp. :dunno

My personal strategy was to use the same handle everywhere, one that included my name and my reason for being. Most times I'll sign my fist name to a post.

Funny, you can tell the really old farts on Facebook because they sign their posts! :p

Ian Schmeisser
I'll never run for elected office!

Theoretically because it could give someone with the book the means to create a list of nice BMW motorcycles to steal.

And they can do the same thing from a forum full name: you can usually find a person's address using the internet.

And they can do the same thing from a forum full name: you can usually find a person's address using the internet.

BMW's don't even break into the 'Top 10' of stolen motorcycles in the USA. Something for those who still believe they have the reliability and value they once had to ponder. :scratch

FYI, the 'Top 10' in order are:

1. Honda
2. Yamaha
3. Suzuki
4. Kawasaki
5. H-D
6. Taoto (Scooters)
7. Bushan
8. KTM
9. Kymco
10. Ducati

Quite frankly, I see no reason for the 'Anonymous Book' to be anonymous. :dunno

Part of today's culture, as we are continuously taught to be afraid, be very afraid. Everything from deoderant ads to home security ads to political tweets by twits, to fear your bike might be stolen. I refuse to mentally join that world.

Sig line

It would help even more if people were brave enough to use their real names in forum posts: if not their forum name then at least in their Sig Line.

I would have no problem with name other stuff in sig line if I could figure out how to do it

David Crawford challenged on proper use of technology and commas ,,,,,

I would have no problem with name other stuff in sig line if I could figure out how to do it

David Crawford challenged on proper use of technology and commas ,,,,,

It's easy,
Upper right to settings
Left column to sig line
Enter what you want- current limits 300 characters and 4 lines
Scroll to bottom of page and click save.
OM

Some interesting theories on why we have handles. Most think I'm a boozer because of my handle, but actually Glenfiddich was a nearly perfect dog, a Prince of Dogs. (The golden breed started in Scotland, so when we get a new pup we often take it to the state liquor store and find a Scotch that matches his color. That becomes his name.) Fear or a desire to remain anonymous don't factor into my decision, and I generally sign off threads with my name.

Pete

I think that civility took a big dump when anonymity became SOP. The busiest dealer at the old time rallies was the guy making and selling laminated name tags.

My name is Lee A. Dickinson and I approve this message.

Theoretically because it could give someone with the book the means to create a list of nice BMW motorcycles to steal.

Anyone ever heard of a reverse directory......Know the number and it looks up the name and addy.......lol...always has been stupid; but people gain strength by being the unknown voice in the crowd and not being held accountable. Have you noticed that the TRUE "experts" about mechanical knowledge on here most always give their name and identity?? ...........God bless....Dennis

Back