• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Drop-In LED 'Bulbs'?

pappy35

Searched but didn't anything clear.

Anyone have any luck installing LEDs lights in place of the regular incandescent bulbs? I've always thought that the instantaneous on/off way LEDs work are more visually 'grabbing' and therefore enhance safety/visibility. I'm looking into Admore and other brake light enhancements but I'm not seeing any reviews from actual users about any of the so-called 'no resistor' solutions out there. I don't want to have to add resistors if I can avoid them. If someone has done this successfully, could you provide a link to where you sourced them?

PS - I am planning to get an EZCAN to run auxiliary lighting and horns etc. but replacing all the incandescent bulbs would be a quick and easy start.

Dynamicmottorad for turn signals are a must, no issues and are great. Not cheap but worth it.
I changed the brake bulbs as well, with bulbs from superbrightled's. Had to install one resistor only,
and no warning on board.Much, much brighter. But...had to run the lights thru the Skene controller,
so i have the conspicuity flicker on the main rear light and the flashing on the brake lights. It works
great, but the lightout warning is on board. Well, i decided to live with that in exchange for the more
visibility. For headlight HID's are great for LO, with no issues.

Drop in?

So has anyone found a drop in LED for the turn signals besides the dynamic ones that will work with no canbus light out problems. Its hard to believe that BMW's are so special that only one company makes LED's for them. I know as a BMW owner I shouldn't complain about price but its fun.

So has anyone found a drop in LED for the turn signals besides the dynamic ones that will work with no canbus light out problems. Its hard to believe that BMW's are so special that only one company makes LED's for them. I know as a BMW owner I shouldn't complain about price but its fun.

Try these folks: https://www.superbrightleds.com/
You'll need to search on the bulb type you're replacing and verify the LED is CANbus-compatible (there are both compatible and non-compatible LEDs sold).
Here's an example search for my '09 R12RT: https://www.superbrightleds.com/veh...hicle-led-lights?make=11&model=3121&year=2009

LED turn signals

I installed weiser LED turn signal replacement bulbs on my bike several years ago and have been very happy with them. Very easy to install and do not cause CANBUS problems.

www.weisertechnik.com

$500 for a full set ($250 each front set and rear set)?!? Yeah, that'd be a negative Ghost Rider...

That and they don't make any for RT's.

This is an old thread, but the question remains relevant so here goes. I found some very good LED turn signals on Amazon that have built-in resistors and work error-free on my 2013 RT. The difference in brightness is stunning. The product is "VEHICODE 7507 PY21W LED Bulb Amber CANBus Error Free" and the link is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5DSKX9N although these links have a habit of going bad. They're $20 for a set of 2.

LED technology is changing rapidly, for the better, so there are rewards in the never-ending quest for better lighting.

Attachments

• vehicode.JPG
    vehicode.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 6
For running and brake lights I have used different products, mostly from SuperBrightLEDs. Their product offerings change from time to time.

For headlights on airheads, K75S, and R1100RS bikes I have used H4 LED lights with a flexible, braided heat sink similar to the picture below. I have been using them for over 5 years. I don't find these on the 'Zon or at SuperBrightLEDs any longer, but I did find one website that purports to offer something similar - haven't purchased anything from these folks, however.

71JFjbgbR3L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
This is an old thread, but the question remains relevant so here goes. I found some very good LED turn signals on Amazon that have built-in resistors and work error-free on my 2013 RT. The difference in brightness is stunning. The product is "VEHICODE 7507 PY21W LED Bulb Amber CANBus Error Free" and the link is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5DSKX9N although these links have a habit of going bad. They're $20 for a set of 2.

LED technology is changing rapidly, for the better, so there are rewards in the never-ending quest for better lighting.
Thanks for this tip. I installed a set today and was impressed, ordered additional bulbs for the rest of the leet.

I just got my 07 R1200RT and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. I originally bought a set of H7s off ebay based on a post on a different site. The bulbs didn't fit correctly. Did some digging on Amazon, and found a set of LASFIT H7 bulbs that worked right out of the box. Here's the link:

I also replaced the turn signal bulbs while I was at it. The ones that were there had the color peeling off and it annoyed me. I used these, also from Amazon:

Both worked fine, no errors. I was thinking about replacing the brake light, but not sure which ones will work since the bulbs are single filament, which means that the voltage is lower for running vs brake.

I just got my 07 R1200RT and replaced the bulbs with LEDs. I originally bought a set of H7s off ebay based on a post on a different site. The bulbs didn't fit correctly. Did some digging on Amazon, and found a set of LASFIT H7 bulbs that worked right out of the box. Here's the link:

I also replaced the turn signal bulbs while I was at it. The ones that were there had the color peeling off and it annoyed me. I used these, also from Amazon:

Both worked fine, no errors. I was thinking about replacing the brake light, but not sure which ones will work since the bulbs are single filament, which means that the voltage is lower for running vs brake.
I've replaced pretty much all bulbs with LED except the tail lamp/brake lamps. Not found any that work without an error due to how these work with a single filament as you stated. I've tried about 3 sets that all said CANBUS compatible and they work great until you hit the brakes, then error, shut off bike, work again, hit brakes, error, etc.

So I bought these red LEDs from Amazon, and on a quick test worked correctly as tail/brake lights and no error on the dash:

Edit: Update, never mind. Worked fine for a few minutes then threw the rear bulb error :(
That's what I found with every set. I just installed 2 pairs of Skene lights controlled by a Hex EZcan that are bright and have a pre-flash on braking and blinking flash when decelerating abruptly due to engine braking.

Yeah, I just tried another supposedy CANBUS compatible set of LED lights, and still no joy.

I guess I'll leave it as is for now. I'll look at adding aux tail/brake lights later.

Last edited:
Back