• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

83 r100

leeorix

Here is my 83 R100.
I have every intention of building a cafe style bike. Picked it up and it needed a lot of work, carbs out of whack and only ran on enriched setting, multitude of electrical issues, and needed maintenance.
Ive re-wired the entire bike, everything works. dialed in the VM 34's. (no Bing) upgraded the coils and Enduralast ignition. New turn signals, horn, custom seat, and other bits. etc. Bars, switches, controls, and so on. Still have a lot to do. But its off to a good start. A lot of mechanical experience, but its my first bike. Ill post up some more pictures later as the build continues. Its fun as hell...
Untitled by keips66, on Flickr

Next up is gauges, tires, and some other aesthetics.

Anybody got a oil temp gauge they want to part with?

Good for you. Keep us informed with progress and some more photos as it evolves. Some of us old guys like the originals - BUT - good modifications and continued use of the Boxer tradition are good too. Carry on and have fun.

Anybody got a oil temp gauge they want to part with?

In keeping with the minimalist flavor of your project perhaps this might be an option...

Oil filled to reduce needle vibration. They're price all over the place from $50 - $165 (!) Some are °F, some are °C.

s-l640.jpg

Sweet little boxer in the background too! '65?

^ Thats exactly what I'm looking for.
Unfortunately, i have not been able to find them stateside. And some other sites say out of stock.

The bug is my neighbors, not sure of the year.

My first car was a 57 oval window.

Im familiar with the boxers...
my race car :)

Sweet! thanks!

Thinking about the Motogadget Chrono Classic for a replacement gauge.
Anybody have any experience with that setup? Im opting for a single gauge to have less clutter around the headlamp/tree.

For reference:
https://motogadget.com/shop/en/chronoclassic-speedo.html

No direct experience—that’s a really nice speedo and they are quite proud of it. Since you’ll have to fab a mount anyway, you might find a useful option here:
http://shop.siebenrock.com/Electric/Instruments:::34_109.html

Good luck,
DG

Old's cool. I'm partial to /5 nacelles and instruments. Not cheap, but clean looking; speedo, tach, and warning lights. You could probably fit a "modern" speedo into it without too much trouble.

6942710760_0720202219_b.jpg

^ I like that. I like the style from the bygone days. in almost everything...
In fact, I'm considering lights on the bucket for neutral, or charging, although, that would sort of defeat the purpose of the Motogadget. Im torn between the looks.

This is the BEST THREAD in the very longest time..........THANKS.....Lew, you need to write more of the how "NOT TO DESTROY BUT AUGMENT" style of mechanicing.........Good stuff. Thanks

Take a look at "Clubman" style handlebars. They mimic clip-ons in both style and to a degree, improved handling. They are lower than the 'superbike' bars you are running (probably will be narrower) but to me they feel right and the look is most assuredly a racy, retro cafe look.

cafe racer

Great stuff just picked up a 83 R100 stripped it and order all the parts motogadet from Dime City nice people, yours looks truly incredible !

has anyone seen a custom gas gauge ever fitted ?

has anyone seen a custom gas gauge ever fitted ?

Just run it until you have to go to Reserve; there is about 15 miles worth of fuel on either side. My "custom gas gauge" in the odometer. One less thing to fail.

It doesn't appear that this critter will be a long-legged touring bike. :)

petcock12.JPG

Haha yeah Dime City is a great place to pick some stuff up.
Ill post some more custom things I did later...

Still deliberating on the gauge setup.
Been busy checking little things off my punch list lately.
Stay tuned...

Pulled the trigger on the Motogadget ChronoClassic with the dark edition LCD.
Cant wait to get it installed. Question is, I think the current stock idiot lights are Oil, Charging, Turn and Neutral. The sun has obliterated the text under the lights.
I'd like the gauge to read the oil pressure, along with some other cool functions. Im guessing I need a new sensor for this? The stock one is simply for the idiot light correct? I feel idiotic asking that for some reason.:)
Also, is there a plug of some sort that fits into the old speedo gear hole? Its obsolete since there is a magnet that goes on the rim.
Took it down to Half Moon Bay to check out Dream Machines...

Couple recent things: Braided fuel lines, custom steering stabilizer knob (mine still works well) but snapped off the old plastic knob when removing the tank.

Back