Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 83 r100

All the grounds are good. Everything was just re-grounded when I did the wiring. All clean, all ok.
    The rotor was shorted. Rather than worry about it, I got the upgraded kit. Its the last thing electrical I needed to replace, and the only thing I haven't touched yet.
    Id rather not have it be a worry when Im further from my house. Sitting on the side of a freeway is no fun

Quote Originally Posted by leeorix View Post
    bike by keips66, on Flickr
    Getting dialed in.
    Nice looking project . It seems that they are seldom ever "finished", but the experience is half the fun. I have a similar bike ('83 R100) that I drug out of the back of a garage and am putting back on the road. It will be different than the original, but functional and fun. To me, it matters more that they are being used and enjoyed and less what the final product looks like.
    Mike
    IBA# 6154
    Sport Touring in Style
    '12 R1200RT , '83 R100, '13 Victory Cross Country

^ thanks. Yeah Ill always be tinkering with it. Still not back on the road yet. Hopefully by this weekend.
    Received the kit form EME and installed. Turns out the rotor was not machined correctly and did not seat correctly on the snout of the crank. Have to say they do have excellent customer service however.

Quick update to a very strange problem...
    After the kit was ordered from EME, the rotor they sent was not machined correctly, the second rotor showed up and I still could not get this thing to charge. I was pulling my hair out, everything was wired to spec and correct.
    After scouring Snobums articles, I found a rare circumstance where the rotor can have a slight reverse polarity/magnatism out of the box. As luck would have it, (or not) that was the case with the second rotor. I performed the fix, as described and now I'm happily charging.
    Holy crap that was frustrating...
    IMG_0011 by keips66, on Flickr
    IMG_0012 by keips66, on Flickr

Holy crap that was frustrating...
    God gives special motorcycles to special people...
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

aint that the truth...
    IMG_0026 by keips66, on Flickr
    IMG_0018 by keips66, on Flickr

Id like to make my throttle smoother.
    The issue at hand, is it takes some effort to twist the throttle compared to brand new bike.
    I realize I probably won't get that kind of effortless twisting, but is there a benefit to switching to a dual pull cable setup?
    Currently I have a single pull, through a 2 into 1 to the carbs. Everything is lubed. I notice that the bend at the carb is also a constant friction point, and Ive tried to lube with all kinds of things. Especially annoying is immediately off a closed throttle. its not as smooth as Id like and without carefully and slowly twisting the grip, it could be jerkier than Id like.
    Any suggestions?

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Have you checked the "friction throttle screw" under the handlebar near the right grip to see how tightly screwed in the device is currently? Check the easy stuff first.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

What condition are the throttle gears? They do wear and get notchy until they fail to engage.

Sorry, forgot to mention that the OE controls have been removed. I believe this is more of a slight binding issue caused by the various bends near the carbs and throttle. Seeing if anyone had any experience with a dual pull setup to help with any added friction caused by the bends. It a wee bit sticky just off idle, and Im looking for smoother operation. Before I cough up the dough, I thought I'd check.
    The dual pull would change the angle out of the throttle and be a single cable to the carbs, instead of a 90 out of the throttle, a 2 into 1 converter, and then to the carbs and one more bend which I suspect is the culprit.

Can't you just get a longer cable to the carbs? I had a bend at the carbs on my throttle cables for the /7 and ended up getting cables for a '86 R80RT. I've never done it, but making cables is supposed to be pretty easy...make your own to get rid of that bend at the carb.

I don't believe you've shown many details of your controls/cable setup.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Went ahead and purchased the Tommaselli Vintage Dual Pull Throttle from Revival Cycles.
    Now its like butter (:
    Much smoother, and especially off idle.
    FYI the Mikuni kit that I had previously had a stiffer cable with a different weave. That, coupled with the 2 into 1 mechanism and various bends was not the optimal setup.
    Strange that the Cables would have been stiffer, from Mikuni, for use with Mikuni carbs and cause major friction. Guess they need to work some stuff out.
    Current setup:
    BMW by keips66, on Flickr
    Also picked up a nice billet micro pushbutton for the Motogadget, instead of the funky old school toggle switch. - a lot cleaner now.

Clean machine Gene! What brand of controls are on the left side (without me having to read back through the entire discussion to find out)
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Thanks,
    Still needs to get cleaned up further, but its come a long way. Working on some custom leather snapping cable ties to keep everything nice and neat. Also to match a leather battery bag I'm making.
    Left and right side are K&S in black. from Dime City Cycles
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 2.01.04 PM by keips66, on Flickr
    https://www.dimecitycycles.com/k-s-v...-fits-7-8.html

Proper photo shoot coming soon...
    But, here is how it currently sits.
    bmw by keips66, on Flickr