• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Adventurers at heart, Two-up in New Zealand

maddog1962

Greeting all.

My partner and i bought a 2005 R1200gs 3 years ago and have put 35000 miles on her travelling around New Zealand, YES we have that many roads :) lots of gravel and dirt and lots and lots of fun.

Now we have our sights on the USA, we are looking at doing the TAT in August and we are trying to decide whether to bring our bike over or buy one thee and sell it when we leave.
the only problem i can see with buying something there knowing what we are getting.

any ideas greatfully accepted

Welcome maddog1962. I have to ask, what is TAT?

As far as freighting your bike to the USA, I would compare the cost of transport to the expense of obtaining a similar bike here. If you choose to purchase, I would recommend buying one from a well established dealership like MAXBMW or Bob's BMW or one of the west coast dealers like A&S cycles or some such. Renting might be an option as well.

Be advised, the dealer network outside of major metropolitan areas is sparse. The exception is Wisconsin which has 2 or 3 dealerships.

How long are you planning to be this side of the world? Have you looked at the TCAT? Trans Canada Adventure Trail? 15000 km’s across Canada mostly off-road, that’s a lot longer than the TAT. For anyone interested all the info is at graveltravel.ca and all of the GPS tracks are free.

Thanks for the replies so far

The plan is to arrive Stateside in mid August and spend 3 months riding and camping anywhere the wind takes us. I am in the market for a r1200gs with panniers and top box that I can buy and resale after the trip. I have a 2006 model here and something of that age would be perfect. We are arriving in California and will head east from there. It should be a fantastic adventure

Back