Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Data mining from social media and smartphones

Data mining from social media and smartphones

Another angle on " how do they know that?" when ads pop up.
    It is one of my biggest peeves to be hammered with suggested ads.
    I know the marketing guys here who live for this love it...I am not one and it just aggravates me.

Still interesting as H and I have talked about something and see ads days later, even with no searches...FB sees a pool in a pic and somehow drives pool equipment/supplies your way....GRRRR! I buy tires and immediately get barraged with side bar ads from either the same company or a competitor. Not a sheep.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phone-l...ok-google-ads/
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    The less information you provide on social media accounts the better.
    It is also a good idea to use tracking blockers and delete ads that pop up on your page on FB. I do and it helps reducing the amount of cr^p I get.
    One day it'll get to the point I will delete my FB account anyway and that will be the end of my "social" media involvement other than two forums I am on....
    My real friends know how to get in touch with me and I with them... YMMV
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Facebook? You mean Geezerbook? Is anyone still on there?? All the cool kids have moved to Instagram and such...
    ;-)

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Facebook? You mean Geezerbook? Is anyone still on there?? All the cool kids have moved to Instagram and such...
    ;-)

Best,
    DG
    Just closed that Instagram turd ...

Actually Fakebook would be a better description....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

I’m not on any social media unless motorcycle forums are counted. I still get targeted ads and I think it is Google that is getting and spreading the information. I recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo as a search engine. Reportedly DuckDuckGo claims they do not gather or share data. We shall see.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Perhaps some have seen my other posts on this subject?

A cleaning out of your browser history, cookies and cache will help. Some browsers will allow you to really cut down on “tracking”.
    The volunteered info that is routinely posted on FB, ..........well, should be given more thought.
    YMMV.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    The less information you provide on social media accounts the better.

My real friends know how to get in touch with me and I with them... YMMV
    I am on maybe 3 forums with any regular use, here being the most. I haven't been a user of the other media and agree on folks know where to find me.

The CBS story had the duck duck go discussed Kevin mentions, but as no surprise went over my head what it was for.Google definitely feeds the algorithym monster.

all that collection about you is done with your consent....

every app you download, or service you subscribe to, has a user agreement and/or a set of permissions needed to access functions on your phone/computer. if you don't agree, you can't use the app. folks just click thru the agreement....then later doesn't understand how all these ads appear....

it is amazing how upset people got a few years ago when NSA was in the news for following the law that allowed them access to just the impersonal meta data about a phone call...yet those same people freely give up every right to privacy they have to commercial companies...or just post it all themselves.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 96 K1100RS (caretaker), 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    I’m not on any social media unless motorcycle forums are counted. I still get targeted ads and I think it is Google that is getting and spreading the information. I recently switched from Google to DuckDuckGo as a search engine. Reportedly DuckDuckGo claims they do not gather or share data. We shall see.
    And your next move should be to ixquick: https://www.ixquick.eu

A bit more work to configure but worth it.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    all that collection about you is done with your consent....

every app you download, or service you subscribe to, has a user agreement and/or a set of permissions needed to access functions on your phone/computer. if you don't agree, you can't use the app. folks just click thru the agreement....then later doesn't understand how all these ads appear....

it is amazing how upset people got a few years ago when NSA was in the news for following the law that allowed them access to just the impersonal meta data about a phone call...yet those same people freely give up every right to privacy they have to commercial companies...or just post it all themselves.
    I understand the need to agree to a 14 page document (I am sarcastic on length, kinda)written in techno speak that the average consumer rarely reads and if they do, struggle to grasp the totality of the meaning and what they are allowing.
    I know I speak for myself, but can only figure I am not alone.

We are a nation used to instant satisfaction and unless it's a major legal agreement or a home purchase, who really reads all the content. I know where the ads come from in general, just not happy that the tech is used for more than just to remind me I love Michelin tires. FB wasn't as "free" as advertised, and was a reason I never played.

Without going down the political rabbithole not allowed here, the NSA did what they were allowed to do, not by the end users OK. Not the same in my mind.

Ad stuff

Seems like the best way to get rid of the ads is don't buy if a ad pops up on your stuff don't buy even if it is something your looking for.

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Another angle on " how do they know that?" when ads pop up.
    It is one of my biggest peeves to be hammered with suggested ads.
    I know the marketing guys here who live for this love it...I am not one and it just aggravates me.

Still interesting as H and I have talked about something and see ads days later, even with no searches...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/phone-l...ok-google-ads/
    Ummm... some of these programs reportedly can exploit the microphone in your device.

https://www.pandasecurity.com/mediac...ne-microphone/
    Last edited by bogthebasher; 02-28-2018 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Fixed pasted link
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by 179212 View Post
    Seems like the best way to get rid of the ads is don't buy if a ad pops up on your stuff don't buy even if it is something your looking for.
    That works. Better still, run an ad-blocker and most of them will disappear.
    Will
    MOA #2607 - 2015 R1200R Cordoba Blue
    Previous: 1999 R1100RT Tundra Green • 1987 R100RT Grey • 1970 R60/5 Black • 196? Honda 305 Super Hawk • 195? Sears Allstate 50 cc Moped

Europe has a process to have Google wipe clean people's web search history upon request. The policy can be read about HERE. Would be good to have such an option here as well.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

The Edge browser (and others I'm sure) has a setting to clear various histories and a setting to do that each time I close my browser. Is that the same thing?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!