• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Torque values

smeg

Good morning to all. I have searched numerous threads on the Emerald Isle grease able pivot bushings. I have a set on order for my 98 R1100RT. Question is , what is the proper torque in real world use. Videos on you tube, and other sources can sometimes be contradictory.
Curious what works best?

Thanks in advance.
Ride safe

Bearing bolt swingarm to gearbox / rear axle
(Locktite 2701) 110.5 ft.lb.

Idler bearing pinon on swinging arm on
gearbox / rear wheel drive (Locktite 2701) 5 ft.lb

Locknut (Locktite 2701) 77.5 ft.lb.

These Torque Values taken from the IBWR website, plenty of good info here http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/torque.shtml

Also some good information in this thread on setting up the adjustable pin on the left side of the swingarm https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?85555-1994-R1100RS-final-drive-pivot-bearing-replacement

I recently installed a set of the EI's on our 1100RT. It was a pretty straightforward install. The above torque values mention using LOCKTITE 2701 on the threads, which is a step I did not do. Instead on the right side of the pivot arm I use Permatech Green thread locker and on the left side I use Blue Locktite. The Green Threadlocker IMHO is quite adequate for this application as I have used it before when I had tapered bronze oilite bushings installed.
FWIW I find using a crowsfoot on a torque wrench to tighten the locknut much easier than the socket method
And be sure to mark a line on your swingarm and over the locknut after your finished. This way you can easily monitor any movement with regards to the adjustable threaded pin

Hope this helps you out

Thanks, I have all the factory specs in my clymers manual. I was just curious if the EI units work better with different torque settings than the OEM bearings that BMW uses.

Thanks, I have all the factory specs in my clymers manual. I was just curious if the EI units work better with different torque settings than the OEM bearings that BMW uses.

Be very wary of the after market manual torque values. There are errors and not just a few...

Check your PMs. I sent you a message.

Back