• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1100S of Boxer Cup Replica?

wec032

Hi - I am new to the MOA and new to BMW bikes, or hoping to be new to them. I’ve had numerous bikes over the years and am contemplating a R1100S or BCR. I’m am looking for a weekend ride having just sold both my bikes for a recent move from the east coast to the Midwest. I will ride solo, normally an hour or two max and don’t need to carry much if any cargo. I’ve been a Motörhead for 50 years so it has to have a decent exhaust. I am 6’5” and in reasonably good shape so high seat isn’t a huge issue. I am a fair weather biker so ABS is probably more of an expense than a necessity. Although I’ve never had them, I think I would like heated grips. I’ve narrowed it to R1100S or BCR. I am interested in insights and recommendations. Thank you.

1100s

I have a close friend who uses his '99s for serious touring miles. He does long distance and occasional track days. I had the opportunity to ride it at the track and it is an amazing motorcycle. Great balance, power and incredible handling. IMHO, it's one of BMW's best bikes ever. Others agree.

The BCR is more track oriented and due to it's limited numbers, will be more expensive (if you can find one). If I recall, it has Ohlins suspension, a different exhaust, slightly shorter wheelbase and some other carbon fiber bits and pieces.

The R1100S and the BCR are virtually identical save for a steering damper, a shorter brake torque arm on the BCR, and cosmetic differences. The damper and torque arm can be fitted to the S if you like. I put the torque arm on mine, didn't bother with the steering damper and didn't miss it.

I also replaced the catalytic converter with a straight-through pipe which "toughened up" the sound without it being intrusive or obnoxious. Get one here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R-1100...tor-decat-mid-pipe-Exhaust-CA11-/230800955937

As well, if the bike you buy has its bars mounted under the triple clamp, and you want them higher, you can easily remount them above requiring no parts and about 15 minutes of labour. Further, if you can, get one with the dual plug head - they're faster. :D

The 1100S was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. The definition of a sport touring bike. Not sure why I just sold mine. The one to which lkchris provided a link would be a fine acquisition.

Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it. Based on your responses I assume there would be no reason not to consider a BCR over a R1100S if I could find a BCR in good shape and at a reasonable price?

.... I assume there would be no reason not to consider a BCR over a R1100S if I could find a BCR in good shape and at a reasonable price?

None whatsoever. Except, due to the belly pan, I believe the BCR does not have a centre stand. May or may not be important to you.

There is also the "light" I think 01 only with sport suspension, 5.5" rear wheel and factory deleted center stand per the brochure. I love mine. Its a gentlemen sport tourer with bags and just enough power to get in a little bit of trouble.

Old retired rider here, but my .02...

In 50 plus years on two wheels I owned a fairly wide variety of machines. Most favorite? My 2004 R1100S by a country mile. When I initially started looking for a gently used S, I was mostly interested in a BCR, but soon discovered that the ones in truly well-kept condition were rare and much more expensive than “plain” S bikes. Eventually found a very low mile, very clean S (in the über fast Grey/Mandarin livery...:)) at a very good price.

The S is a great bike that is a near perfect blend of positive attributes.

Good luck and happy hunting! :dance

1100S vs BCR

I bought an 04’ 1100S in early 06’ w/14,000 miles, an 04’ BCR in late 11’ w/9,000 miles and an 04’ BCR in mid-16’ w/2,500 miles. The S was sold with 83,000 miles. I still have the two BCRs. They are currently at 62,000 miles and 11,000 miles. So I have about 130,000 miles of experience on the type.

All three have heated grips, ABS, linked brakes and power brakes. The original center coils fail around 20K. Upgrade coils work fine. Let me know if you want part numbers. Single failure on twin spark is subtle. Test is easy. Pivot bearings should be checked about every 10,000 miles or whenever you forget the last time you did it. I’ll explain how if there is interest. If caught early, they can be tightened. A special tool is required or can be made. A Pit Bull rear stand is a good idea as the BCRs have no center stand. Front wheel stand chock is enough for oil changes. Had Ztechnik pipe on the S and moved it to the 1st BCR. Charcoal can removed from S and BCR #1. BCR #2 remains stock. S & #1 are the comfort option, bars on top and tall windscreen. #2 has low screen and low bars.

I wanted a bike for all uses. Both the S and BCR do a descent job commuting, touring and track day. Stock, BMW saddle bags work on these models. As some have noted, comfort is very subjective as no two people seem to fit the same. I’m 5’8” and generally seem to fit BMWs. The seat is not well padded and I find it uncomfortable. I use a hunters tree stand pad (like a little Thermarest) for long trips. 600-mile days aren’t too bad with the pad. The tank is on the small side. 160 miles is about the tank’s limit.

Track days are a hoot; lots of torque so minding the rpm isn’t too critical. Commuting is good. It doesn’t get too hot in the summertime in stop and go traffic. The mirrors could be wider set as your elbows are in the way. Aftermarket stand offs are made and work well. Before retiring I commuted 30 miles round trip year round. On the coldest days I ran, from top down, heated visor, jacket, gloves, chaps, socks and seat. The electrical system handles it just fine.

The S had valve cover guards. During one get off the bike slid about 100 feet and the guard lost about 1/2 it’s thickness. The saddle bag took a small amount of rub. If the bike hadn’t gone into a ditch and ended up upside down that would have been the extent if the damage. The main fairing frame costs $800.

Bleeding the brakes is time consuming: it has nine bleeders and the order of bleed is critical. So is battery and and air filter replacement. The tank has to come off for bleed, battery and fuel filter replacement. BMW used plastic quick disconnects on the fuel lines. All of these break. Either eliminate them or get metal. Both BCRs had no QDs. BCRs maybe came without them? Balancing the throttle bodies pretty easy with a TwinMax. After doing it the first time I had my BMW dealer check it with their machine. Very close to dead on.

S-Ergos

For those that don't fit the S...
There are several mods that can make the S a more ergo-friendly ride. I had mine for about seven years and experimented with just about every mod and comfort upgrade.

First thing will be that horrible seat that makes you slide forward while braking. It's slanted and slick. After a half dozen options, Corbin, etc., I ended up cutting it flatter with a bread knife and inserting a gel pad.

Second, start with moving the bars above the top triple tree. It's a free mod and costs nothing.'Comfort' bikes from the factory with the bars up top.
Early S, BCR's, and Preps mostly had the bars under the tree.
If that doesn't work for you get a set of (shamelss plug Rapid Dog Barbacks that raise the bars an additional +3/4" and 1 1/2" rearward.
(Bikes without ABS and factory Low bars need a longer brake hose at the handlebar master cylinder).

Then lower your pegs with a Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit.
These three things are going to get roatae your pelvis in a more erect position and get the weight off your wrists, giving you better leverage as well.

Finally, choose the windscreen that works best. I found after trying many options, the stock 'Comfort' screen was fine. The addition of an X-creen or other spoiler made it that much better.

G'Luck S lovers!

The bikes with the sport suspension are the ones that lack the centerstand. The regular centerstand is too short and BMW didn’t make an longer one. Some people have lengthened the regular one with varying degrees of success. The BCR belly pan will block it anyway.

I bought an 04’ 1100S in early 06’ w/14,000 miles, an 04’ BCR in late 11’ w/9,000 miles and an 04’ BCR in mid-16’ w/2,500 miles. The S was sold with 83,000 miles. I still have the two BCRs. They are currently at 62,000 miles and 11,000 miles. So I have about 130,000 miles of experience on the type. ...

No need to re-quote the entirety. That was just a terrific post!

Mark

Back