• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking about a rare purchase, need help

jamie_s_72

I have a client who was invited to a private auction of a rather nice collection of vehicles. He called me and asked me to come look at this bike he bought, it’s a 2006 K1200R with 400 miles. Perfect of course but the low mileage and non use brings up some concerns. He’s asking $5000. What do you think
f9a4f5d3c7cd276357ebae2c5a3b766a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, so far there's no comment that it's a screamin' deal. :D Maybe it would be, for a rider who is a skilled wrencher, and who really wants a naked, non ABS 1200 K. Or a non wrencher might think that the fluids and first start up could be dealt with by a pro, and the value of the minimal wear on the moving parts would more than offset the cost.

Last edited:
The only BIG concern I'd have is the brake servo, if it is so equipped. After sitting so long without any fluid changes (I assume) there's a good chance that it's clogged with chrystalized brake fluid. Also, it needs the cam chain tensioner and chain jump guard update.

Other than that I'd say go for it. I almost bought one of these last year myself. There are a couple of manufacturers who make a slightly more attractive and protective windscreen. And Scorpion makes a very nice slip-on muffler which is no louder than stock but much smaller and 8 pounds lighter. If it checks out mechanically you could have a jewel of a bike.

Offer him $3,000 'cause you're going to be spending the difference in maintenance.

Last edited:
Back