• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 k1600gtl

PhilStearns

I am a brand new owner. Bike has less than 200 miles. I’ve owned UJMs forever, so, I’m new to BMW.

Regarding the reverser, I recall the manual saying the reverser kicks back to “Nuetral” when you put the side stand down or hit the brakes. Mine does not do this, but it does function otherwise well as written.

Thoughts??

Last edited:
Reverse

Just RIDE IT! I also have a new GTL. I can use brakes while reversing, which is a must after you let off the switch - it wants to keep GOING! The Reverse stays on until I switch it off. I've got 1,800 miles in just 4 weeks . . . . Great ride!!! Dave

Rear Lights Wanted

Does anybody have a recommendation for additional rear lighting on the GTL? I find the single small tail light inadequate for the idiots behind out on the highway. I know about HyperLites but I don't need anything for the brakes because I have a Vizi-Tec on the regular and high brake light. I'm looking for something that goes along the edges of the fender flap. Open for ideas!!! Dave

On my GTL I wired a Skene controller into the high brake light, which turned into a running light with the Skene “flicker” and a pulsating brake light. In a few days trading in the GTL for a Grand America and will do the same. I also wired in a separate controller to the front turn signals which made them running lights with the flicker and when turning nomal functioning turn signals. I also have had hyper-lites but the advantage the Skene system gives is the running light function. Highly recommended.

Does anybody have a recommendation for additional rear lighting on the GTL? I find the single small tail light inadequate for the idiots behind out on the highway. I know about HyperLites but I don't need anything for the brakes because I have a Vizi-Tec on the regular and high brake light. I'm looking for something that goes along the edges of the fender flap. Open for ideas!!! Dave

I Have the Billy Light from Clearwater. Nobody misses it when I hit the brakes

Add the trunk lighting kit.

If you ride most often with the Rear trunk mounted on the back, you should invest in the trunk LED light set (mine was $75 back in 2013). It is an easy installation, as the plug is already wired into the trunk, and subsequently is connected with the large plug under the seat. It replaces the black facia under the BMW emblem with a row of bright LED's. This is at eye level to the car behind you, which will definitely get their attention.

Congratulations on your new bike.

Last edited:
If you ride most often with the Rear trunk mounted on the back, you should invest in the trunk LED light set (mine was $75 back in 2013). It is an easy installation, as the plug is already wired into the trunk, and subsequently is connected with the large plug under the seat. It replaces the black facia under the BMW emblem with a row of bright LED's. This is at eye level to the car behind you, which will definitely get their attention.

Congratulations on your new bike.

Hi can you post a pic or direct me to a link with pics?
Thanks

I got the top trunk LED light set from the dealer. It does the job really well.

Back