• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Alaska ride June of ‘18

dcoley

I am planning a ride to Alaska from Central MIssissippi. So far it seems I will be riding solo. (My brother and an old friend cannot make the trip due to their work). However I would like another rider or two on the trip for safety reasons in event of a breakdown or something. Just to give a brief description of me: I used to ride quite a lot, and after a time, gave up riding to focus on career. I Retired in January and promptly bought a 2011 R1200GS with just over 12,000 miles. If you are interested let’s talk. If I attached photo correctly there should be 1 of my bike and pic of me.

Attachments

• D51BC82B-239F-484E-A8D1-7D14C245285F.jpg
    D51BC82B-239F-484E-A8D1-7D14C245285F.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 322
  • B63D2862-ACCA-47D2-B97A-6E7AFD020CB0.jpg
    B63D2862-ACCA-47D2-B97A-6E7AFD020CB0.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 327
Welcome to the forum!
Alaska is a real interesting place to visit. I think it's doable by yourself but no doubt more enjoyable with a companion rider.
Good luck.
Gary

I echo the sentiment, welcome to the forum! And enjoy that retirement! I hope you find a riding partner, but if you don't, do the trip anyway. It'll make for a great adventure.

Interested

Are you going to hotel it or camp?

Are you looking for dirt or sticking to pavement?

Where in Alaska and how much time? :)

Since I retired 2 years ago I’ve been trying to convince my wife to let me ride to Alaska and this year she said ok but you need to find someone to go with you. So far it’s looking like I’m going alone. I would be interested in your proposal but the problem I have is due to a family vacation and a wedding I can’t leave until July 16th. I’m planning on camping and hotels and allowing 3 to 4 weeks. If your interested in changing your leave date I’d like to talk to you about working something out. Jerry

Interested

Are you going to hotel it or camp?

Are you looking for dirt or sticking to pavement?

Where in Alaska and how much time? :)

drgnhtr:

I'd like to camp some and get a hotel every few days

Stick to pavement except for the road construction areas that I read about. (unless we decide to take the "haul road" to Deadhorse.

I would like to go Anchorage and Fairbanks and towns in between.

Since I retired 2 years ago I’ve been trying to convince my wife to let me ride to Alaska and this year she said ok but you need to find someone to go with you. So far it’s looking like I’m going alone. I would be interested in your proposal but the problem I have is due to a family vacation and a wedding I can’t leave until July 16th. I’m planning on camping and hotels and allowing 3 to 4 weeks. If your interested in changing your leave date I’d like to talk to you about working something out. Jerry

Mirider:

I understand that there is a short window of time to make the trip. I don't know if mid-July is too late or not. I'm sure others on this forum can chime in on that topic. Thanks.

Well I’m certainly no expert on Alaska but my wife and did a cruise there the first week of August a few years back with a land portion and it was fairly warm. I’ve also read some ride reports on Advrider that were there around that time and weather wasn’t an issue. But I can understand you might not want go that late, I’d rather go earlier too.

I’ve ridden to Alaska in early May and from AK in early September. I’ve been in Whitehorse in early June when the high temp was 30 f. and two weeks later it was 88 f. in the same place. I got snowed on in Black Rapids Alaska, Pink River BC and Flesher Pass Montana all in July. Take cold weather and wet weather gear and do not forget your shorts and sun screen.

A while back I was through Yukon, British Columbia and Alaska in August-

MV5BNmIzZTkxYTYtNTNhNC00YzBhLWFlZDgtZWRkYjUyNWE3ZDlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU0NjUzNw@@._V1_.jpg

I didn't know what to expect but overall the weather was spectacular and, from what I was told, we somehow missed the bugs. We did 160 miles on a river that was cold enough to freeze- if it had stopped. It was cold on the glaciers. There were plenty of critters both big and small. Behind every mountain there was a new weather system.
If you can make it, I don't think you will be disappointed. If you do end up alone, satellite phone rentals are a good way to stay in touch when you are past the "towers".
OM

I'm Heading North in Mid June

I am planning a ride to Alaska from Central MIssissippi. So far it seems I will be riding solo. (My brother and an old friend cannot make the trip due to their work). However I would like another rider or two on the trip for safety reasons in event of a breakdown or something. Just to give a brief description of me: I used to ride quite a lot, and after a time, gave up riding to focus on career. I Retired in January and promptly bought a 2011 R1200GS with just over 12,000 miles. If you are interested let’s talk. If I attached photo correctly there should be 1 of my bike and pic of me.

Hi

I'm heading to Alaska from Northern California about June 15th - plan to go through BC on Hwy 99 to 97 to 37 back to 97 and then Hwy 1 into Alaska.
I plan to motel all the way since I don't want to take all the gear to camp. I am flexible so I could drift a bit more East in BC. My plan is to meet family to tour the state for a week then if the spirit moves me go to the Arctic Circle or even Prudhoe Bay. I'm looking at taking the ferry back from Skagway to either Prince Rupert or all the way to Bellingham. It's expensive but I hear it's a great sail.

I did a Coast to Coast to Coast about a year ago on my K1600 and it was amazing. (Ca to NYC to CA back thru Canada) If we can't meet up have an awesome ride - I know you will.

All the Best,
Curt

P M sent

Well I’m certainly no expert on Alaska but my wife and did a cruise there the first week of August a few years back with a land portion and it was fairly warm. I’ve also read some ride reports on Advrider that were there around that time and weather wasn’t an issue. But I can understand you might not want go that late, I’d rather go earlier too.

Mrider I sent you a Private Messge. Let me know

Fls

I’ve ridden to Alaska in early May and from AK in early September. I’ve been in Whitehorse in early June when the high temp was 30 f. and two weeks later it was 88 f. in the same place. I got snowed on in Black Rapids Alaska, Pink River BC and Flesher Pass Montana all in July. Take cold weather and wet weather gear and do not forget your shorts and sun screen.

Thanks for the advice akbeemer.

Hi

I'm heading to Alaska from Northern California about June 15th - plan to go through BC on Hwy 99 to 97 to 37 back to 97 and then Hwy 1 into Alaska.
I plan to motel all the way since I don't want to take all the gear to camp. I am flexible so I could drift a bit more East in BC. My plan is to meet family to tour the state for a week then if the spirit moves me go to the Arctic Circle or even Prudhoe Bay. I'm looking at taking the ferry back from Skagway to either Prince Rupert or all the way to Bellingham. It's expensive but I hear it's a great sail.

I did a Coast to Coast to Coast about a year ago on my K1600 and it was amazing. (Ca to NYC to CA back thru Canada) If we can't meet up have an awesome ride - I know you will.

All the Best,
Curt

Thanks Curt

Back