• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

E15, So What Do We Do?

gloucesterman

Howdy,
As I'm sure most of us are aware of the impending mandate for E15, so what do we do when it may happen? Not to comment on the current political situation with the EPA and the Interior but it may be closer than we think. So, do we just try to avoid it, use it when we have to, can we buy some additive to counter react what gloom and doom we've been told may happen and how will the manufacturer's respond to warranty claims that may be associated with E15?:dunno
Later,
Norm

Howdy,
As I'm sure most of us are aware of the impending mandate for E15, so what do we do when it may happen? Not to comment on the current political situation with the EPA and the Interior but it may be closer than we think. So, do we just try to avoid it, use it when we have to, can we buy some additive to counter react what gloom and doom we've been told may happen and how will the manufacturer's respond to warranty claims that may be associated with E15?:dunno
Later,
Norm

The last I saw E-15 is not approved for any motorcycles and many cars. I expect E-10 to be around for a long while. I personally expect the entire ethanol mandate to go away before E15 becomes universal; but I have been wrong before.

I know there was talk about 15% but thought a mandate to force use of the stuff was shot down by auto manufacturers and public reaction.
Locally it's not hard to get non-diluted (recreational) gas so we are rarely forced to use even the 10% swill in our bikes, boats, mowers, or old cars.
FWIW, 10% seems to work OK in a 1200GS, but I would put bigger jets in any older carbureted bike forced to use it to compensate for a leaner burn.

If ethanol in gas really bothers you or your bike, it's fairly simple to extract the alcohol from pump gas:
http://www.ethanil.co.uk/

With today’s EPA announcement that they are easing the previously planned future auto emissions standards I doubt E-15 is in our future. I did not hear any comment in the announcement about ethanol, but the approach to emissions mandates has obviously changed.

Hi,
It has nothing to do with the EPA, it has to do with the corn lobby and the oil lobby. The oil industry is closing refineries and blaming the Renewable Fuel Act and the purchase of RFC's (credits) as the culprit. So our current administration is trying to broker a deal between two of its biggest $ contributors. The corn lobby may back a change in the law to drop the RIN's in exchange for allowing more ethanol in our gas and in some states where E15 is sold during the summer to allow it be sold year round. Then you add in blender pumps, one nozzle dispensing E10 and E15, and you are going to get a lot more E15 than you think in your small gas tank if that is what the person before you pumped. So I believe it is an issue with no one offering a solution.
Later,
Norm

Last edited:
Back