• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Should I Change Out New Oil In Spring

itznuthin

I suspect this has been addressed but I can't seem to find anything when I search. I used to change my oil on my past BMW's at the end of the season and then again in spring after the oil sat in the bike sat for 6 months. I got a new BMW R1200RT last year, and last fall I hit 6,000 miles and the oil was changed during the 6,000 mile service. Now that 4 quarts of oil cost nearly $80 I'm (using the BMW oil), I'm hesitant to dump the oil that has maybe 400 miles on it even though it's 6 months old. The manual simply says every 6,000 miles for oil changes, but all auto manuals I've read have both a mileage and period of time for required oil changes. I have to believe that BMW knows best. Any thoughts or knowledge out there regarding this issue. Thanks, Don

I'm sure there will 500 opinions on this.
I don't ride after the last oil change in the Fall and consider myself good to go in the Spring.

The new oils are real stable. Chances are, when you pull the stick to check it, it looks good as new.
Ride on and enjoy.
OM

Same here. Change your oil at the end of the season when you put it away and then at the next mileage interval.

The oil is fine in the spring. The additives, etc., will all be good until the end of the season or they mileage out, whichever comes first. There used to be concern about the additives going out of suspension, etc., but the top-tier companies state that their additives are good for several years. If the bike has been stored in an unheated location and you have large temperature swings, than I'd consider making the first ride of the season a 30+ minute ride and not worry about anything.

Don, if you did want to change it in the spring, and you were close to me I'd get you to let me know when and I'd come over and drain it and take it away for you - it would make a great oil change for me at the end of 2018. ;-)

I'm in the "it depends" camp. If I have less than a couple thousand miles on my oil, and it was a dry winter, then I leave it alone. If on the other hand, we had some thaw cycles then I change it. I've seen winters where we get a very cold spell followed by a short quick warming, that cause's condensation on everything, I've had water running down the windows in my garage during such events, this condensation will occur within the engine, transmission, and final drive as well. The year I'm thinking of in the spring my crankcase oil had turned white while sitting in storage, dropped the oil and was good to go. My expensive table saw blades did not fare so well, rusting up terribly. Other years, if the oil is normal color, I fire it up and go, never think about it further.

I suspect this has been addressed but I can't seem to find anything when I search. I used to change my oil on my past BMW's at the end of the season and then again in spring after the oil sat in the bike sat for 6 months. I got a new BMW R1200RT last year, and last fall I hit 6,000 miles and the oil was changed during the 6,000 mile service. Now that 4 quarts of oil cost nearly $80 I'm (using the BMW oil), I'm hesitant to dump the oil that has maybe 400 miles on it even though it's 6 months old. The manual simply says every 6,000 miles for oil changes, but all auto manuals I've read have both a mileage and period of time for required oil changes. I have to believe that BMW knows best. Any thoughts or knowledge out there regarding this issue. Thanks, Don

Opinion #501: First of all, if you're paying $20 / qt., you're using the wrong oil, unless the $80 you quoted included shop labor and filter. Even synthetic Amsoil is not that expensive. Changing your own oil on virtually any motorcycle is a simple process, and the #1 way for an owner to save on maintenance costs.

Secondly, the problem I see here is the 400 miles you logged before you set the bike aside for the winter months. In retrospect, you should accomplish that last oil change (bike could be run momentarily to final check the oil level) and then park it. 400 miles is enough to stir loose contaminents from the sump and alter the acidity of the oil - not good for long-term storage.

In the future, your final oil change comes after your final miles for the season. Then in spring, dump some additional Sea-Foam into your stored fuel and hit the road. :wave

When I lived in CT I solved the problem by riding year round. I still do, but it is not very hard to do that in AZ!

In 1982 I bought a new R100RS and rode it for over 100,00 miles until 1996 and bought a new R1100GS and rode it over 100,000 miles until I bought my new 1200GS two years ago. Stored them over winter in the unheated garage in Minnesota.
I always changed the oil at the recommended mileage only and never payed attention to the date. Never had any oil related problems. Both the bikes seemed like they ran as good as new when I sold them.

Thanks to Everyone

I'd like to thank all the people who responded. I really appreciate it. I'll "ride on" and wait until my next required oil change at 12K. I'll also take the advice that in the fall when I do a final oil change I'll wait until I'm done riding so it's as clean as can be before it's put away. Regards, Don

Oil

Not anymore, with synthetic oil and a 2016 RT I have the dealer change it every 6000mi during service. The wethead doesn't use/burn oil like my 2000 and 2013RT's.

Back