• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Yes, I put diesel fuel into my 2013 GTL

Glad the bike is back and running. As has been said, diesel in a gasoline engine typically just requires cleaning, gasoline in a diesel (and running it) can mean a total rebuild!!!

I'd buy a can of either Techron or Seafoam, your choice, they're both very good at cleaning injectors, fuel systems, etc. Then take your additive and go to the gas station, but before filling the tank with gas 91-AKI (or 93 if you like), put the prescribed amount of Techron or Seafoam into your tank, then fill it with gas, right to the top. That may help your fuel gauge and putting it in before you fuel up will mix the additive extremely well. Then take it for a good long run at highway or good secondary road speeds. Use your trip-meter for fuel range and stop to refill when you think you're at half-full. See how much it takes and that will give you an idea of your range, which may be reduced until everything is back running smoothly.

As was suggested, the fuel gauge may just need 1-2 tanks of fuel to loosen it up and both Techron and Seafoam can help with that. But it is important to fill the tank to the top each time to get the gas as high up on the gauge as possible so that it can clean/dilute the diesel. I'd even take some Techron or Seafoam with me and when you do your half-empty fill put in enough for the half-tank fill, so you are continuing to clean everything. If the gauge doesn't start working properly after 2 full tanks then it may require removal for a complete cleaning.

Thanks everyone

I really appreciate all the useful suggestions. Hope I can repay in kind at some point. K16 continues to run well and even the "range" sensor seems to be gradually getting in synch with the fuel gauge. Now I will write on the chalk board one hundred times: I will not put diesel in my motorcycle again.

I would try it as OM said above. The Tupperware has to come off, then the radiator has to be removed, then coil packs and so on till you can get to the plugs. Try the easy way first then dive in if needed.
Makes me appreciate riding an R. Not even a fairing between me and the spark plugs.

Diesel nozzle sizes are suppose to be larger than gasoline nozzles. There are nozzles for diesels at truck stops that are even larger!!! I do know that VW for the Passats and Jettas were outfitting them with mis-fuel preventers that detected the size of the nozzle to prevent filling gasoline into the TDI vehicles.

However, I have not taken notice on my 1200RT the size of the opening to see if a diesel nozzle will fit in or not. I will look the next time I fuel up. One of the reasons I think I do not notice, is I use this: http://www.mccuff.com/ whenever I fuel up and I do not that the device only allows gasoline nozzles to fit.
On my R1200RT, the fuel opening is 35mm wide. So that is wider than diesel nozzles which are 23.8mm and gasoline nozzles are 20.6mm.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Years ago my brother put diesel in his '82 Yamaha 750 (it was new) just before we met for a ride. I noticed when he pulled up the bike smelled like a Peterbilt. He'd ridden about 10 miles. We drained tank replacing with gas....didn't miss a beat. Of course it had a carb not injectors.

Back