• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jesse Top Case on a R1200RT?

Hi All:

I just purchased a 2017 R1200RT and I'd like to get an aftermarket top case for it. I've always been a fan of the Jesse cases for their strength and overall looks. I'd like to install the 45 liter standard top case but unfortunately Jesse doesn't make a top case mounting bracket for the RT. In talking to their tech support he said that no matter what, to install a Jesse top case you'll need to drill your own holes in the bottom of the case, even if you're using a Jesse mounting bracket. This leads me to believe that I could purchase just about any brand of top case mounting hardware (such as the GIVI monokey mounting bracket) and then just drill the holes in the Jesse top case to match.

Has anyone tried this before? Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Congrats with your new ride and welcome!:wave

The Givi plate looks like a BMW OEM part on the bike. I have one as well as the V47 Givi top case. The Givi plate mounts on the bike without any mods to the bike so when you remove it, the bike will look stock again.
I think the Givi plate would work with some modifications to fit the Jesse case.

On a personal note, I'd look at Bumot cases too, as they use a friction hinge that keeps the lid in any position you desire.

Congrats with your new ride and welcome!:wave

The Givi plate looks like a BMW OEM part on the bike. I have one as well as the V47 Givi top case. The Givi plate mounts on the bike without any mods to the bike so when you remove it, the bike will look stock again.
I think the Givi plate would work with some modifications to fit the Jesse case.

On a personal note, I'd look at Bumot cases too, as they use a friction hinge that keeps the lid in any position you desire.

Thanks for the information! I checked out the Bumot cases...very nice, but a little too utilitarian looking for the RT. :)

Let us know how you make out. I've always loved the Jessie Bags too... and they sure beat BMW pricing and quality!

Let us know how you make out. I've always loved the Jessie Bags too... and they sure beat BMW pricing and quality!

The more I look into this, it appears that Givi is the only manufacturer that makes a top case mount bracket for the RT and it wouldn't work well with anything but a Givi monokey case because of the "nub" at the end of it where a monokey case locks in. Thinking about just going with the Givi Trekker 52L box so I don't have to engineer anything. Jesse requires a 20% restocking fee if you return an item and I don't think I want to take the chance on it not working out and paying $80 plus shipping to return it. I'm sure it could be mounted one way or another, but maybe not worth the hassle IMO.

FWIW This is what I did to put the Jessie Top Box on my R1200RS.

I had the old Jessie Mounting plate from my old BMW. I set it on top the RS rack, clamped it in place, and drilled 4 mounting holes. I use stainless steel bolts to mount on the the RS rack. Then my Jessie Top Box mounted, like it did before, to the mounting plate.

Yes it does take about 10 minutes to remove every thing, so I only use the Top Box in multiday trips...but that is the only time I need the extra space.

Nothing measures up to Jessie for tough, water proof boxes.

I ended up finding a used BMW 49 liter case for a reasonable price on Craiglsist so I went ahead and got it. It is nice not having to deal with any extra mounting plates, etc. It would have been nice to have a more sturdy case but I think it will do.

Back