• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R12RT Low Question

pappy35

I've got a line on a really nice looking, two-owner, 90th Edition model at my local dealer. It's only got 6k miles on it and was bought and serviced at this dealer and it had the switchgear replacement done. It's not entirely clear though what I'm giving up with the low. I'm working with a 29" inseam and that, combined with its somewhat lighter weight, I really liked. When I sat on it it just really clicked and that was with the stock seat (it has the low, one-piece, seat as well which I didn't try). I felt more confident with that one than I did fitting the '18 RT with a low seat.

I know you don't get ESA II but I'm a "set it and forget it" kinda guy (not to mention my sticker shock at learning how much those ESA shocks cost to replace) so I don't think I really care about that. I presume that the suspension is still manually adjustable. Anyone know offhand if that is true, what the available adjustments are, and what else one might be giving up for the low option? Can the Nav VI be installed (the bike has the mount cradle) and if yes, can it be controlled via the wonderwheel?

Last edited:
I have a 29' inseam, and would not hesitate a moment to buy a factory lowered bike, if it is the kind
am looking for. I have lowered mine, a 2008 rt, and couldn't be happier. Still have the ESA working
with the new shocks, yet, just as you, kind of forget it is there. Tend to believe that a factory lowered
bike has the same option available. As far as seats, if you care for heated seat, the extra low one piece
is not heated. It is also not very comfortable. I have made some improvements on that, added a gel
pad and cut 1'' off the sides. Is much better now, have to see how I like it after long 10 hour rides.
Other than that, have a low Sargent that is also good, but rather hard. OEM seats are long gone.
Good luck with your decision!

Thanks fr the feedback. Nice to hear from other inseam-challenged riders. So the regular seat on a low bike does have heat?

I'm thinking that I'd use the extra low seat for the daily commute (~30 minutes each way) for easier access to the ground in stop and go traffic and the regular seat in the low position for touring.

I just RTFM. The low version does not have ESAII and the rear has a manual pre-load adjuster under the seat and damping adjuster. There doesn't appear to be any front shock adjustments.

So the bike had two owners. The first one bought it new but only rode it 2k miles in three or so years. The next owner put about 4k on it in the year or so he had it.

How does the lack of ESA and the low suspension affect resale? I mean, do you folks think this makes the machine way less marketable in the future?

So the bike had two owners. The first one bought it new but only rode it 2k miles in three or so years. The next owner put about 4k on it in the year or so he had it.

How does the lack of ESA and the low suspension affect resale? I mean, do you folks think this makes the machine way less marketable in the future?

Depends on the buyer. Me, i wouldn't give a second thought about ESA. Would rather look at what make are the shocks.
Being lowered, will be more appealing to low inseam riders. However , a tall guy can ride a low bike, not so much the
other way around..:nod

Yeah. I don't care about ESA or the heated seats (though apparently it can be added at the cost of the seat, the switchgear, and a software update to the bike). While I don't know for sure since I didn't look at it that closely, I'm pretty sure the shocks are stock. The build sheet stated it was a low suspension model. I'm just trying to figure out how fair the price is and if there is any demand for non-ESA Camheads. I'm not one to flip bikes but I also don't want to get into something that no one is going to want in s few years.

As i mentioned, i don't care for ESA, heated seat or grips, but we are not all the same.
Many that never had would love to have them. If i may suggest, ride one with standard
shocks and compare with the one you are looking for. I spent a small fortune to have the
bike to suit me. But am not thinking about selling it.

Lowered rt

Pappy35, I have a 2011 factory lowered rt. Currently using the stock height Corbin seat. Only adjustment is rear shock preload and rebound. I bought it used and the rear shock was lowest setting on preload. Rode awful. Added preload and it's like a Cadillac. No problems scraping in curves. To use a stock height seat I had to order $35 BMW parts to make the seat adjustable. No esa but I don't need it or a heated seat. Wife says very comfy. If I'm on a long trip I adjust the seat on high to get extra legroom for my 30 inseam.

My wife didn't skin me alive tonight when I brought it up so I'll take that as a positive sign...

My next question for the group is: what would you all consider to be a smoking, can't say no, kinda deal for the ride I've described?

2013, 90th Edition, Low Seat, about 6,000 miles, bought and serviced at this dealer, no seat heat, radio, ASC, computer, chrome pipe, TPMS, Bluetooth, normal and extra low seats, GPS prep but no GPS unit. I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb so assume it's mint.

No so mini review...

I test rode it today. Two firsts for me: 1) first time riding any BMW, and 2) first time I ever actually test rode a bike before I bought it.

Here are a few things I noticed right off the bat:

It vibrates a good deal more than I thought it would. I also noticed that there's a huge amount of flywheel-induced (I presume) rolling when blipping the throttle while stopped or when trying to match engine to gear speed during downshifts. As these are tendencies entirely absent in the parallel twin and inline transverse fours that made up all my motorcycling experience up to today, at first it was pretty distracting. I got it on the highway and at about 70-75 there was, to me, way too much high frequency, low magnitude, vibration. It was bad enough that my hands were starting to go numb. Not good. I could feel it in the grips, even through the seat. I was just about to get off the highway and and head back when I noticed that there was still one more gear to go. Haha. Once I dropped it into 6th it settled down very nicely so I kept going.

The dealer gave me the keys, and told me to have fun and what time they closed. I really loved that. No pressure. I took my time and rode a route that took me on the highway for a while, down some moderately twisty roads, through a congested retail area notorious for bad, distracted, and cranky drivers, then finally back on the highway back to the dealer. It was really good exploration of the bike in different conditions. I even got in some low speed parking lot stuff. I'll need a lot of work there BTY. Overall I had it out for about an hour. Didn't touch any of the gizmos. This was just about the machine and how it rides.

Comparing it to my memory of my FJR. 1st gear seemed pretty tall and needed more clutch feathering than I was expecting. Downshifting is something it needs more of to get up and go. But, of course, the FJR made 30+ more HP and had much higher torque numbers at the crank so I'm not surprised. It handles a little heavier/slower. By its own reckoning I got 50mpg which was very nice. Overall I am very impressed and the vibes and rolling I mentioned are really nothing more than minor things. Grip puppies will fix one and the rolling doesn't have any effect at all on handling that I can tell so I don't really care. I love the way it sounds! It's like a sewing machine whizzing away down there. The exhaust note is throaty but not loud. Once it comes up into the torque band it pulls like a freight train. In turns it stays right where you tell it to go. Seat height with the standard seat in the low position was perfect for me and my stubby little legs. Way better than any other bike I've owned.

The bike was dropped by one of the previous owners and if the dealer fixes the pannier (he's got a paint guy who might be able to repair the deep scratches it has), buys me a set of those BMW plastic engine guards to cover the minor scratches on the cover, and one other very minor ding, I think I'm good to go.

I now know why you guys are so passionate, maybe even cultish, about these boxers. They have personality and, as Winston said "personality goes a long way."

<a Pulp Fiction reference in case you were wondering>

IMG_20180331_123853.jpgIMG_20180331_124139.jpgIMG_20180331_124146.jpg

Since this is your first ride on a boxer, it sure feels strange,compared to inline four's.
But that vibration issue may not be a "personality" thing but something else. Could be just
a out of balance wheel. Maybe you should try another boxer, and compare. The bike had two
previous owners, that sold it after short time for whatever reason. Don't be the third one!

As the vibes varied with engine speed, not wheel speed, I assumed it was engine-related. Regardless, we reached a deal on it today and so sometime next week I'll be bringing it home.

I have a factory lowered RT as well. 2011 in my case. I despised that one piece stock seat after about 50 miles of riding. So I sent mine off to Russel Day Long and now it's perfect. I have a 28" inseam and I can plant the balls of my feet comfortably when I'm stopped.

If you discover the seat isn't comfortable, don't hesitate to send it off.

Enjoy that bike!

DC

I got the low seat (along with the normal one) when I picked up my bike yesterday. I put it on last night, sat on it, and in like two seconds was, ummm, yeah. No. :bolt

Your suggestion is exactly what occurred to me next as I was removing it.

I can actually handle the bike pretty well with the regular seat in the low position. It's much easier to handle say than the FJR1300 I had previously. I am pining to add a heated seat so I'll deal with what I have for now and look at it again in the fall. The stock seat by far not the most comfortable one I've ever had but that low is absurdly bad.

One thing I really liked was heated grips. OMG! Where has this been all my life?!? Yes, I know, I've lived an underprivileged motorcycle life as this is the first ride I've had equipped with heated grips. It was 45F for my first commute to work today and those grips were the BOMB! Now I really want a heated seat. I ride year-round so these will def. come in handy in the fall.

Back